Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: 16/24/32 bit color

DeMus is offline I Ubuntu, Therefore, I Am
    Beans

Re: 16/24/32 bit color

Thank you for all the info. I'm convinced now that we "only" have 24-bits. Still I'm having the transients in colors but apparently I have to live with that.
    Thanks again.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by bradleyshorwith View Post
    Just to clear things up, the menu items in Windows under color in XP were 16 bit and 24 bit I have used other more powerful systems running XP and 32 bit is shown as an option. I cannot, however, compare 24 and 32 bit since I have not been able to see them long enough side by side.
    @dcstar: I notice a HUGE difference between the two.
    There is no need to compare "32 bit colour" and "24 bit colour". What people here are trying to say is that these are one and the same. 32 bit colour is in fact just a slightly inaccurate name for 24 bit colour - there is no difference.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 16.04 Xenial Xerus

Quote Originally Posted by DeMus View Post
    Thank you for all the info. I'm convinced now that we "only" have 24-bits. Still I'm having the transients in colors but apparently I have to live with that.
    Thanks again.
    Visible transients could be caused by something else than the color depth. And that's assuming the color depth really is 24-bit. If you have a separate monitor you could probably check the current bit depth directly from the monitor itself. Bit hard to do if you use a laptop, though.

It's hard to say, really, without seeing what it looks like. But the point really was just that 24-bits is as much as you can get apart from some really, really expensive professional displays. And that the "32-bit Truecolor" mode in Windows really is just the same 24 bits as in 24-bit color mode on Linux. And in the end many consumer-level LCD panels really display only 18-bit colors.

Beans

I'm replying to this message again. I hope I state it more clearly now. My PC only supports up to 24 bit color in Windows XP. However, when I use Ubuntu, the highest color depth I can get is the equivalent of 16 bit in Windows. There is a HUGE difference between the two and Windows 16 bit is almost unbearable to look at. Is there a way to change the color depth? I am sorry to revive the thread, but my problem has not been solved and I have no idea what to do.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

I'm replying to this message again. I hope I state it more clearly now. My PC only supports up to 24 bit color in Windows XP. However, when I use Ubuntu, the highest color depth I can get is the equivalent of 16 bit in Windows. There is a HUGE difference between the two and Windows 16 bit is almost unbearable to look at. Is there a way to change the color depth? I am sorry to revive the thread, but my problem has not been solved and I have no idea what to do.
    Until you take the advice of the other posts and provide the details of your video hardware, then it probably won't ever get resolved.
    Regards, David.
    Please use the Forum search and Wiki search for immediate help
    Please mark your thread as Solved when appropriate
    New to technical forums?: How To Ask Questions The Smart Way

Beans

but my problem has not been solved and I have no idea what to do.

We need to know what your video hardware is. Run
    Code:
    lspci
    from the terminal and post the output.

Beans

00:00.0 Host bridge: Intel Corporation 82815 815 Chipset Host Bridge and Memory Controller Hub (rev 02)
    00:02.0 VGA compatible controller: Intel Corporation 82815 Chipset Graphics Controller (CGC) (rev 02)
    00:1e.0 PCI bridge: Intel Corporation 82801 PCI Bridge (rev 02)
    00:1f.0 ISA bridge: Intel Corporation 82801BA ISA Bridge (LPC) (rev 02)
    00:1f.1 IDE interface: Intel Corporation 82801BA IDE U100 Controller (rev 02)
    00:1f.4 USB Controller: Intel Corporation 82801BA/BAM USB Controller #1 (rev 02)
    00:1f.5 Multimedia audio controller: Intel Corporation 82801BA/BAM AC'97 Audio Controller (rev 02)
    02:08.0 Ethernet controller: Intel Corporation 82801BA/BAM/CA/CAM Ethernet Controller (rev 01)
    02:09.0 USB Controller: NEC Corporation USB (rev 41)
    02:09.1 USB Controller: NEC Corporation USB (rev 41)
    02:09.2 USB Controller: NEC Corporation USB 2.0 (rev 02)
    02:0a.0 Communication controller: Conexant Systems, Inc. HSF 56k Data/Fax Modem

Sorry, I didn't really know what my video hardware was, just that it is onboard.

Beans

I gave the output. Is there anything else I should be doing? Sorry for bumping but I really need help here.

Beans

I looked for your hardware on the Intel site. This is something ancient indeed. Back in 2000 there was no FOSS driver for your video card and the thing apparently came with couple of proprietary drivers in the form of RPM files. They are compiled for kernel 2.4 (or maybe even 2.2) and will not work on any modern system. Intel no longer supports the video card and since the driver is not open source the community cannot update it either. What you are using is some generic driver that works, but only so well.

You may try tweaking the xorg.conf settings to try and force the video card to do what you want. Here is something else that found for very similar to your hardware.
    http://www.linuxquestions.org/questi...hipset-608658/

Other than that, things are not looking good.

(On the note of the video + driver, I had an EVGA 7300GT, worked OK under windows, but was ugly as hell under Ubuntu. Then the fan died after only a year, so the thing was a piece of garbage apparently. I moved to Asus 8600GT and I got huge improvement under both systems.)

Beans

It seems I am having a bit of a hard time finding xorg.conf. Here is the output when I use the locate command.
    /usr/share/X11/xorg.conf.d
    /usr/share/X11/xorg.conf.d/10-evdev.conf
    /usr/share/X11/xorg.conf.d/50-synaptics.conf
    /usr/share/X11/xorg.conf.d/50-vmmouse.conf
    /usr/share/X11/xorg.conf.d/50-wacom.conf
    /usr/share/X11/xorg.conf.d/51-synaptics-quirks.conf
    /usr/share/X11/xorg.conf.d/60-magictrackpad.conf
    /usr/share/doc/xserver-xorg-video-nouveau/examples/xorg.conf
    /usr/share/man/man5/xorg.conf.5.gz
    I expected it to be in /etc/x11/ but I don't really know which one I should modify (or create) now. Thanks, you have been the biggest help so far.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast