Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: HOWTO: Configure the Samsung ML-1660 for CUPS

Beans

Re: HOWTO: Configure the Samsung ML-1660 for CUPS

Quote Originally Posted by miquelinho87 View Post
    Goodevening. I'm sorry for my not perfect english, but I hope that you will understand. I've red about the installation of the samsung ml-1660, and I tried to install it, but I could not. After 1 hour, and several attempts, I found the problem: at the point number 5) of the guide, the command isn't "sudo cp tmpdir/rastertosamsung* /usr/lib/cups/filters", but "sudo cp tmpdir/rastertosamsung* /usr/lib/cups/filter", without the final s in the word "filter".

These are the correct passages:
    1) Download the Samsung unified printer driver from their website (UnifiedLinuxDriver_*.tar.gz)
    2) Extract /cdroot/Linux/noarch/at_opt/share/ppd/ML-1660spl.ppd to a temporary directory (That could be the Desktop).
    3) For 32 bit: extract /cdroot/Linux/i386/at_root/usr/lib/cups/filter/rastertosamsung* to a tmp dir
    4) For 64 bit: extract /cdroot/Linux/x86_64/at_root/usr/lib64/cups/filter/rastertosamsung* to a tmp dir
    5) sudo cp tmpdir/rastertosamsung* /usr/lib/cups/filter
    6) sudo chmod 755 /usr/lib/cups/filter/rastertosamsung*
    7) sudo chown root:root /usr/lib/cups/filter/rastertosamsung*
    8) Plug the printer in - Ubuntu should recognise it connected via USB and give it its own name
    9) Add a new printer with cups via System -> Administration -> Printing. In the "Choose Driver" section select "Provide PPD file" and browse and select ML-1660spl.ppd that you extracted earlier to a tmp dir.
    10) Print a test page, and away you go!

However I want to thank teejaybee for the precious guide.
    You are a god my friend!!
    I haven't any problem in Fedora 13 and Ubuntu 10.04, but I had in Fedora 15.
    Printer (ML 1665) doesn't work! I follow your guide and all are good now!!
    Thanks!!!!!!!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Great post. Was looking around for a while until I found this - install worked perfectly following the updated steps. Strange that the Ubuntu auto-install came up with printer models on either side of this one (e.g. ML-1651 and model numbers higher than ML-1660) but not this printer. I sent a nonsensical email to Samsung saying they should provide better support for Ubuntu in response

Beans

Super job, got it working right away...thanks a lot for the information.

Beans

Smile Re: HOWTO: Configure the Samsung ML-1660 for CUPS

Double sided Printing can be enabled by editing /etc/cups/ppd/ML-16*.ppd file

add this lines file at the end then u will find option in the properties Duplex Printing

*% ================================================== =======
    *% Duplex Printing
    *% Printer Features

*OpenUI *Duplex/Double-sided Printing: PickOne
    *OrderDependency: 60 AnySetup *Duplex
    *DefaultDuplex: None
    *Duplex None/None: " <</Duplex false>> setpagedevice"
    *Duplex DuplexNoTumble/Long Edge: "
    <</Duplex true /Tumble false>> setpagedevice"
    *End
    *Duplex DuplexTumble/Short Edge: "
    <</Duplex true /Tumble true>> setpagedevice"
    *End
    *?Duplex: "
    save
    currentpagedevice /Duplex get
    {currentpagedevice /Tumble get
    {(DuplexTumble)}{(DuplexNoTumble)}ifelse
    }{(None)} ifelse = flush
    restore
    "
    *End
    *CloseUI: *Duplex

Beans

[I][QUOTE=teejaybee;9946145]
    1) Download the Samsung unified printer driver from their website (UnifiedLinuxDriver_*.tar.gz)
    2) Extract /cdroot/Linux/noarch/at_opt/share/ppd/ML-1660spl.ppd to a temporary directory.
    3) For 32 bit: extract /cdroot/Linux/i386/at_root/usr/lib/cups/filter/rastertosamsung* to a tmp dir
    4) For 64 bit: extract /cdroot/Linux/x86_64/at_root/usr/lib64/cups/filter/rastertosamsung* to a tmp dir
    5) sudo cp tmpdir/rastertosamsung* /usr/lib/cups/filters
    6) sudo chmod 755 /usr/lib/cups/filters/rastertosamsung*
    7) sudo chown root:root /usr/lib/cups/filters/rastertosamsung*
    8) Plug the printer in - Ubuntu should recognise it connected via USB and give it its own name
    9) Add a new printer with cups via System -> Administration -> Printing. In the "Choose Driver" section select "Provide PPD file" and browse and select ML-1660spl.ppd that you extracted earlier to a tmp dir.

Hello Everybody,
    When working with Kubuntu 11.04 and a few preceding versions, I have been able to print perfectly well with Samsung ML-1660 - along the lines of the instructions at this page. However, in Kubuntu 11.10 and 12.04, the printer is not being recognised any more - even after exactly carrying out the instructions here, *Ubuntu simply does not detect the printer. There must be some bug, because in a few preceding versions the printer detection worked flawlessly. At some forum, I saw the recommendation to install again some old Linux kernel - however, this caused various other complications. That's why,I hope to get ideas for other remedies or "workarounds" for this problem.

Thanks, respectfully yours, Bas Roufs.

Beans

Today, the problems seems to be solved for "80%". The system, Kubuntu 12.04, again recognises the printer. I do manage to print test pages. I also do manage to print from other applications - however, I often need to switch on and off the printer in order to get a page printed.

Respectfully yours,
    Bas Roufs.

Beans

Hello Everybody,
    during a few years I managed to work well with my ML-1660 printer along the lines of these instructions:

Quote Originally Posted by miquelinho87 View Post
    Goodevening. I'm sorry for my not perfect english, but I hope that you will understand. I've red about the installation of the samsung ml-1660, and I tried to install it, but I could not. After 1 hour, and several attempts, I found the problem: at the point number 5) of the guide, the command isn't "sudo cp tmpdir/rastertosamsung* /usr/lib/cups/filters", but "sudo cp tmpdir/rastertosamsung* /usr/lib/cups/filter", without the final s in the word "filter".

These are the correct passages:
    2) Extract /cdroot/Linux/noarch/at_opt/share/ppd/ML-1660spl.ppd to a temporary directory (That could be the Desktop).
    5) sudo cp tmpdir/rastertosamsung* /usr/lib/cups/filter
    6) sudo chmod 755 /usr/lib/cups/filter/rastertosamsung*
    7) sudo chown root:root /usr/lib/cups/filter/rastertosamsung*

However I want to thank teejaybee for the precious guide.
    However, ever since a few months, I get stuck at step 8. In other words: *Ubuntu does not auto-recognise any more this printer. At present I work with Kubuntu 12.04, along with KDE 4.9.1.

Does anybody have a clue how to fix this problem? Thanks, respectfully yours,
    Bas Roufs.
    Last edited by Bas Roufs; September 21st, 2012 at 04:34 PM. Reason: I forgot to mention important detail.

Beans

fwiw, followed the instructions using a Samsung ML-1665 on Lubuntu 12.10, worked perfectly. many thanks!

Beans

Since this is still the first hit of many search engines when looking for a Linux driver for Samsung printers: For many Samsung and Xerox printers (including the Samsung ML-1660) there is a free driver available. It is called SpliX and is available in the Ubuntu repositories as “printer-driver-splix”.

Beans

Tanks a lot!! Fixed the issue in Lubuntu 13.04.

Marcelo.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12