Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: HOWTO: Configure the Samsung ML-1660 for CUPS

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

HOWTO: Configure the Samsung ML-1660 for CUPS

G'day,

I recently got a Samsung ML-1660 printer and while it worked fine with the unified linux driver provided by Samsung, I didn't really like how that driver did its business with regards to installing old static libraries and other stuff that I don't need and most certainly don't want going stale and causing problems down the track.

So I read up online on how to troubleshoot printer problems with CUPS and came to the following solution on my Ubuntu 10.04 machine:

1) Download the Samsung unified printer driver from their website (UnifiedLinuxDriver_*.tar.gz)
    2) Extract /cdroot/Linux/noarch/at_opt/share/ppd/ML-1660spl.ppd to a temporary directory.
    3) For 32 bit: extract /cdroot/Linux/i386/at_root/usr/lib/cups/filter/rastertosamsung* to a tmp dir
    4) For 64 bit: extract /cdroot/Linux/x86_64/at_root/usr/lib64/cups/filter/rastertosamsung* to a tmp dir
    5) sudo cp tmpdir/rastertosamsung* /usr/lib/cups/filters
    6) sudo chmod 755 /usr/lib/cups/filters/rastertosamsung*
    7) sudo chown root:root /usr/lib/cups/filters/rastertosamsung*
    8) Plug the printer in - Ubuntu should recognise it connected via USB and give it its own name
    9) Add a new printer with cups via System -> Administration -> Printing. In the "Choose Driver" section select "Provide PPD file" and browse and select ML-1660spl.ppd that you extracted earlier to a tmp dir.
    10) Print a test page, and away you go!

I hope this benefits someone.

Cheers.

Beans

Re: HOWTO: Configure the Samsung ML-1660 for CUPS

Hi, I'm a newbe in Ubuntu and also have a ML 1660 printer, can you explain more in your tutorial?

For exemple, in the folder filters there is 4 files with the name started by rastertosamsung
    So do I need to repeat 4 times the commands:
    Code:
    sudo chmod 755 /usr/lib/cups/filters/rastertosamsung
    with each file?

Quote Originally Posted by teejaybee View Post
    G'day,

I recently got a Samsung ML-1660 printer and while it worked fine with the unified linux driver provided by Samsung, I didn't really like how that driver did its business with regards to installing old static libraries and other stuff that I don't need and most certainly don't want going stale and causing problems down the track.

So I read up online on how to troubleshoot printer problems with CUPS and came to the following solution on my Ubuntu 10.04 machine:

1) Download the Samsung unified printer driver from their website (UnifiedLinuxDriver_*.tar.gz)
    2) Extract /cdroot/Linux/noarch/at_opt/share/ppd/ML-1660spl.ppd to a temporary directory.
    3) For 32 bit: extract /cdroot/Linux/i386/at_root/usr/lib/cups/filter/rastertosamsung* to a tmp dir
    4) For 64 bit: extract /cdroot/Linux/x86_64/at_root/usr/lib64/cups/filter/rastertosamsung* to a tmp dir
    5) sudo cp tmpdir/rastertosamsung* /usr/lib/cups/filters
    6) sudo chmod 755 /usr/lib/cups/filters/rastertosamsung*
    7) sudo chown root:root /usr/lib/cups/filters/rastertosamsung*
    8) Plug the printer in - Ubuntu should recognise it connected via USB and give it its own name
    9) Add a new printer with cups via System -> Administration -> Printing. In the "Choose Driver" section select "Provide PPD file" and browse and select ML-1660spl.ppd that you extracted earlier to a tmp dir.

I hope this benefits someone.

Cheers.

Beans

OK, I've just tried, just need to select the right .ppd file from source and evrything's perfect!

Beans

Goodevening. I'm sorry for my not perfect english, but I hope that you will understand. I've red about the installation of the samsung ml-1660, and I tried to install it, but I could not. After 1 hour, and several attempts, I found the problem: at the point number 5) of the guide, the command isn't "sudo cp tmpdir/rastertosamsung* /usr/lib/cups/filters", but "sudo cp tmpdir/rastertosamsung* /usr/lib/cups/filter", without the final s in the word "filter".

These are the correct passages:
    2) Extract /cdroot/Linux/noarch/at_opt/share/ppd/ML-1660spl.ppd to a temporary directory (That could be the Desktop).
    5) sudo cp tmpdir/rastertosamsung* /usr/lib/cups/filter
    6) sudo chmod 755 /usr/lib/cups/filter/rastertosamsung*
    7) sudo chown root:root /usr/lib/cups/filter/rastertosamsung*

However I want to thank teejaybee for the precious guide.

Beans

yes, it works... Thanks. I have ubuntu 10.10, and without 's' on 'filter'.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Is double-sided printing work fine?
    Acer Extensa 5220 and Prestigio PC

Beans

i can't print two sided. any suggestion pls.

Beans

Thanks a lot teejaybee for posting the guide and thanks also miquelinho87 for your corrections. My Samsung ML-1660 printer is now finally working. However, without duplex options. Please, if anybody knows how to enable this, I would very much appreciate your help (and as one can see from the posts some other folks too). Although I suspect this is probably the driver feature which is not included.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by miquelinho87 View Post
    Goodevening. I'm sorry for my not perfect english, but I hope that you will understand. I've red about the installation of the samsung ml-1660, and I tried to install it, but I could not. After 1 hour, and several attempts, I found the problem: at the point number 5) of the guide, the command isn't "sudo cp tmpdir/rastertosamsung* /usr/lib/cups/filters", but "sudo cp tmpdir/rastertosamsung* /usr/lib/cups/filter", without the final s in the word "filter".

These are the correct passages:
    2) Extract /cdroot/Linux/noarch/at_opt/share/ppd/ML-1660spl.ppd to a temporary directory (That could be the Desktop).
    5) sudo cp tmpdir/rastertosamsung* /usr/lib/cups/filter
    6) sudo chmod 755 /usr/lib/cups/filter/rastertosamsung*
    7) sudo chown root:root /usr/lib/cups/filter/rastertosamsung*

However I want to thank teejaybee for the precious guide.

Beans

Thanks, but I had to add under 'Printer Properties','Job Options' 'Tray' 'automatic', otherwise no paper loaded.
    Also I found that letting Ubuntu automatically find the driver also required the above addition.

Beans

Connect to a windows shared Samsung ML-1660

I've tested the steps by my own 'cause I have one of those printers network shared by a windoz pc

If you connect to it and provide the ppd only, a warning pops about the raster filters

So I removed the first test (the printer installs), I've added the rastertosamsung* filters in /usr/lib/cups/filter/ and I've repeated the add printer from samba network: it works.

Now I'm able to print from ubuntu to a windoz pc sharing on ml-1660 printer.

Thank you for this guide.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast