Page 1 of 12 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Ubuntu is going backwards

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Ubuntu is going backwards

Anybody else thinks that every version ubuntu gives a step back?

Look at 8.04 vs 10.10, 8.04 is 100x more responsive and fast, while 10.10 is all slow and unresponsive. They care about making boot 5 secs shorter and having a "better boot experience", what IMO they failed. Not only that 8.04 boot splash is A LOT nicer than 10.04/10.10 with plymouth working, but also that chances are that plymouth wont work and it will look like ****. Instead, they should care about overall system speed and responsiveness. Just take a look at USC, it is insanely slow, sluggish, its kinda unbelievable that they release it the way it is. Add/remove software wasnt A GREAT SOFTWARE, it actually could be improved, but its still much better than USC.

My 2 cents
    Last edited by Speed_arg; October 8th, 2010 at 09:23 PM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.04 Natty Narwhal

Re: Ubuntu is going backwards

We are moving forward, but not every step is going to be a smooth one. Plymouth is an example of something that will improve over time.

Can't say I agree with the speed comment, 10.04 and 10.10 are both very fast for me on my two test systems.

Beans
    Hidden!

I guess it all depends on your hardware. I just tried the 10.10 RC and I have to say, its the first ubuntu version Ive tried (since 6.x) where *everything* works out of the box with zero issues so far. And its pretty damn fast too, not just the boot.

Im using ATI restricted drivers, so plymouth only shows for like half a second, and I spend more time looking at a black screen with a cursor, but thats hardly a big deal when my cold boot is like 30 seconds, maybe even less.

But a new kernel almost always means old issues fixed for a lot of users, and new issues for some. Ive been in the "some" camp almost every single release until this one. Lucky me

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by P4man View Post
    I guess it all depends on your hardware. I just tried the 10.10 RC and I have to say, its the first ubuntu version Ive tried (since 6.x) where *everything* works out of the box with zero issues so far. And its pretty damn fast too, not just the boot.

Im using ATI restricted drivers, so plymouth only shows for like half a second, and I spend more time looking at a black screen with a cursor, but thats hardly a big deal when my cold boot is like 30 seconds, maybe even less.

But a new kernel almost always means old issues fixed for a lot of users, and new issues for some. Ive been in the "some" camp almost every single release until this one. Lucky me
    Yes, hardware detection and that stuff is indeed better, but that is more related to the kernel and not with ubuntu's work (I know its not only the kernel, but its mostly).

I would like 8.04 with the new hardware support. Apart from hardware support, I don't see any improvement.

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by Calash View Post
    We are moving forward, but not every step is going to be a smooth one. Plymouth is an example of something that will improve over time.

Can't say I agree with the speed comment, 10.04 and 10.10 are both very fast for me on my two test systems.
    I had to give up by Karmic. Karmic was a disaster for me, and I gave Lucid a go. Slowwwwww!

Hopefully Maverick will get a bit of a boost.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

Much of how Ubuntu runs for you depends on your hardware, as you can tell by reading the threads in the Maverick Testing & Discussion sub-forum. For me performance has picked up quite a bit in the last couple of weeks.

On my netbook, I can definitely see a difference between an install that has been updated since alpha 2 and the fresh install I did yesterday doing iso testing.

On my desktop systems, there has been a performance pick up since the latest nvidia driver was released, and even what I consider my low resource system:

• AMD 3500+ single core
    • 1Gb ram
    • Nvidia 8400GS 256Mb
    • 30 & 160Gb hard drives

Runs well using the nouveau drivers.
    Last edited by cariboo; October 8th, 2010 at 09:56 PM. Reason: edited because of the move

Beans

Moved to CC.

Quote Originally Posted by Speed_arg View Post
    I would like 8.04 with the new hardware support.
    Then use it, with kernel backports, which will provide support for lots of new hardware.
    Previously known as 23meg

Beans

Pish wash, Ubuntu is leaping forward.

Beans

Pish wash, Ubuntu is leaping forward.

Beans
    Hidden!

If you don't like it in its current state, use an old version with PPAs so you get updated software or switch to another distro. Simples.

Page 1 of 12 12311 ... LastLast