Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: edimax 7811 no driver

Beans

edimax 7811 no driver

Hi, I'm going round in circles with this as I'm just not very good at using the command line in Ubuntu. I've bought an Edimax EW-7811Un nano USB wifi adapter, and I'm really cheesed off at the moment because I can't get it to work on my laptop. I've got Ubuntu 10.04 on it. Any help you can give me will be appreciated veyr much, as I really want this tiny dongle to work with my computer. Ubuntu is much fats than Windows, and I use it all the time, but my current wifi donlge is an old big monstrosity!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Re: edimax 7811 no driver

Please open a terminal and do:
    Code:
    sudo apt-get install build-essential linux-headers-generic
    Please download the driver to your desktop here: http://www.edimax.com/en/support_det...id=1&pl2_id=44

Right-click and select 'Extract here.' A folder will be created named rtl8192CU... Open it and open the folder called 'driver.' There is a file in there called rtl8192CU... Right-click and select 'Extract here.' Now, back in the terminal, do:
    Code:
    cd Desktop/rtl8192CU_8188CU_linux_v2.0.939.20100726/driver/rtl8192CU_linux_v2.0.939.20100726
    make
    sudo make install
    sudo modprobe 8192cu
    Does your Edimax spring to life? Post back and let us know.
    "Oh, Ubuntu, you are my favorite Linux-based operating system" --Dr. Sheldon Cooper, B.Sc., M.Sc., M.A., Ph.D., Sc.D.

Beans

Talking Re: edimax 7811 no driver

chili555, you are the best! Thank you so much for your help. My edimax is now working like a dream. It took me a few goes before I realised that I needed to use upper and lower case where shown! Doh! Thanks again, your help is very much appreciated by this Linux newbie.

Beans
    Distro

Glad to have helped!

Whenever a new kernel or linux-image is installed, usually by the Update Manager, you will need to build the module again against the new kernel.
    Code:
    cd Desktop/rtl8192CU_8188CU_linux_v2.0.939.20100726/driver/rtl8192CU_linux_v2.0.939.20100726
    make clean
    make
    sudo make install
    sudo modprobe 8192cu
    Have fun!
    "Oh, Ubuntu, you are my favorite Linux-based operating system" --Dr. Sheldon Cooper, B.Sc., M.Sc., M.A., Ph.D., Sc.D.

Beans

Hello,

Please, could you confirm that the solution works with Maverick kernels? In the driver package available on edimax website, it is noticed that this would be compatible with 2.6.32 kernels... "and maverick kernels is 2.6.35.

EDIT : latest drivers can be found directly on realteck website; this is an updated version of the above version, and is compatible with kernels up to 2.6.35.

http://fichiers.touslesdrivers.com/r..._v2.0.1126.zip
    Last edited by milou; November 4th, 2010 at 09:44 PM.

Beans
    Distro

It compiled without warning or error on my 10.10 system just now. I don't have the device, so I can't test further.

Make sure you have build-essential and linux-headers installed.

Beans

Ok. So I tried both driver versions on a Maverick 64 bits distribution. It compiles (though with a lot of warnings) in both cases. But each time I modprobe the module 8192cu, it freezes the 2 laptops I tried ... compiled on a standard Maverick Kernel 2.6.35-22 .

castle4dracula, could you tell here what is the system on which it worked "like a dream"? Distribution, flavor (32 or 64 bits), maybe laptop/computer on which you compiled the module?

Beans

Some info about this wifi usb stick. I installed Maverick 32 bits and the realtek driver (I tried the 1126 version) works. That means this is a 32 bits version, which was not precised on the website.

For an unknown reason, the usb stick, though seen in gnome network manager, is greyed and showed as "disabled", though I can use it with wicd. Someone would know how to solve this problem?

Beans

Hey Chili555,
    WOW! It's been two frustrating days trying to get the Edimax EW-7811Un adapter to work. I am fairly new to the command line in ubuntu, and nothing I was doing was working. Either I got errors during make, or missing files after unzipping, or nothing. I tried your fix from the Oct. 8th post, and it did not work. Then I tried other suggestions, blacklisting, disabling, etc. Eventually the internal card on my netbook would only go up and down in about 20 second intervals. I wasn't sure what to do, but instead of "Hulk SMASH!" I did the next best thing, wiped the drive and reinstalled and updated the OS. *deep breath, exhale, ....good*

I tried your fix on the fresh install and viola! Pure, gooey, awesomeness as the blue light started blinking.

I wasn't ready for this fight, everything on ubuntu has just worked for me so far. N'er a driver to install, but there sure are a lot of hits in the forum for problems with wireless adapters. I kept trying to find a program that would pull up the usb ports, tell me what was plugged in, and let me update the drivers, like a hardware manager. No dice.

Can you suggest a good location for a beginner course on installing drivers?
    AND...what was that about having to clean up after update manager loads a kernel or image file?
    thanks for your help!
    Last edited by steel-fender; January 23rd, 2011 at 09:36 AM. Reason: new to posting here, thought i was replying to another message...

Beans
    Distro

I am very glad it's finally working and especially that we've avoided the Hulk-smash.

Wireless adapters are an especially difficult area. There are tens of manufacturers, each with dozens of models and new ones coming out just about daily. While the same is true of, say printers, we are quite willing to accept that a particular printer won't work in Linux no way no how. However, networking and the internet is so important that no one is willing to accept that some $12 USB dongle is so poorly made and that Linux drivers don't now and never will exist such that it won't ever work. I have seen more than a few posts where the question is, "I have read this device doesn't work|monitor|packet injection in Ubuntu. What's the work-around?"
    Can you suggest a good location for a beginner course on installing drivers?
    Not really; however, installing drivers is no different than most other software in Linux. Either there is a native driver and it just works, or there is a (hopefully) fits-all tar.gz somewhere and you need the pre-requisites and compile just like we did here or there is no driver/software at all. Every new kernel version includes more common drivers, and other software and, I believe, drops really old obsolete things. For instance, I'd hate to try to get a SCSI printer running in kernel 2.6.36.
    AND...what was that about having to clean up after update manager loads a kernel or image file?
    When you compiled the driver, you built it for your currently running kernel, known in Ubuntu-speak as linux-image. Some day soon, Update Manager will offer a newer linux-image, 2.6.35-25 perhaps. You will need to build a driver module for the newer kernel as I pointed out above.

Incidentally, there is suspicion that there is something fundamentally flawed with -24. I have removed it and suggest you avoid it.

Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast