Thread: Linux CAD development help

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Linux CAD development help

I was looking for a good and cheap 3D CAD alternative in Linux and the search for decent CAD programs that actually run in Linux is sadly fast approaching none. Frankly I am tired of paying hundreds of dollars for this kind of software as well, there is no way a copy of Pro E or Solid Works should cost multiple thousands of dollars. I as an individual can never completely own this type of software (due to both the price and terrible licensing practices of these companies) which is great for projects at home or for small businesses.

Thus my call to start a new development project:

Is there anyone out there who has experience with GUI development and maybe others who have worked on Blender or something similar be who is willing to help me make a freeware 3D CAD program. I have experience with quite a few programming languages as well as CAD programs, CFD, and FEA, and think it is very possible to tweak a program like Blender to allow for parametric modelling (might not have to start from scratch). I am mainly focused on getting a modeler and assembly loader into play at the moment, but if there are some people out there who want to incorporate free ware FEA or CFD into this type of package and know how to by all means you can. For now I just need some takers.

If there is already such a project under development, point me in the direction of the dev team.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Unhappy Re: Linux CAD development help

No takers? No ME's or CS's willing to help?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

Re: Linux CAD development help

Why not help an existing project? FreeCAD seems like it has potential: http://sourceforge.net/apps/mediawik...itle=Main_Page

There was a project to integrate CAD type tools into Blender at some stage but I'm not sure if it got anywhere. There have also been suggestions to get tools into Inkscape that would make it more suitable for 2D CAD.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Re: Linux CAD development help

Thanks, I said I would be all for it, but I did not run across anything already being developed while searching for it. I'll check it out though.