Thread: Computer Upgrade Help!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Smile Computer Upgrade Help!

Hiya All!

I need some advice on upgrading my computer.

It is a Dell Optiplex GX240 with:

Bios A03 (Now A05)

1.8Ghz Pentium 4 (Northwood I think) Socket 478 Cache 512kb(L2)
    256mb P133 RAM (Now 256*2mb) SDRAM
    20gb Hard drive (Now 80gb)
    Ati rage 128 pro ultra low profile 32mb (Now Nvidia Geforce4 MX440-se agp 4x (64mb)

Motherboard supports 400fsb

At the moment I'd rather not buy a new computer now (I wait a bit longer until the specs completely shadows mine, also I might be going to uni this year). I just need a reasonable upgrade(not too drastic)

BTW just the processor and graphics card because the RAM I can deal with and the hard drive is ok for me. (it took me ages to find out the exact model of my processor)

Thanks in advance!!!!

P.S Does changing the processor affect the bios and the kernel of the OS? (Ubuntu 10.04 32-bit)

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Kubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Re: Computer Upgrade Help!

i am not sure this kind of maschine is really worth upgrading. waste of money. but if you wish to do it it seems fine.

i would suggest to get more ram. it's more important than graphics card. graphics card is probably not worth upgrading unless you need to play certain games. i used a 16MB card and most things worked fine.

also instead of upgrading disk it might be better to buy & add external usb disk. you can use it for data, transfer it easilly to another computer and you can use it later after you get a new maschine.

BTW have you tried running LXDE on the maschine (Lubuntu or Mint LXDE). it needs less resources...

My advice would be: upgrade the ram if you can do it (check the motherboard specifications) and get a USB disk for your data. if you lack USB ports or if all are occupied you can buy a cheap PCI USB expansion card that will add 4 more USB ports.

P.S Does changing the processor affect the bios and the kernel of the OS? (Ubuntu 10.04 32-bit)
    no.
    Easy to understand Ubuntu manual with lots of pics: http://ubuntu-manual.org/
    Do i need antivirus/firewall in linux?
    User friendly disk backup: Redobackup

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Gnome Development Release

Re: Computer Upgrade Help!

i would suggest to get more ram. it's more important than graphics card.
    +1

I won't worry if you can't upgrade your Graphics Card or HDD, RAM and Processor are more important.