Thread: Safe way to dual boot Ubuntu 10.04 & Windows 7

Beans

Safe way to dual boot Ubuntu 10.04 & Windows 7

After reading about the major changes in the new GRUB2 I decided not to risk installing 10.04 on my then existing computer. It was set up to dual boot 8.04 and Windows XP, and since I was two generations behind on both of them (and the computer was old), I decided to start over from scratch with a new machine. So I threw some money at the problem in order to avoid bigger problems.

I purchased a Dell Inspiron 570 (~$500) which came with Windows 7 on a SATA hard disk. I also purchased another SATA hard disk (320Gb, ~$50). I opened the 570 and moved the SATA DVD drive from port SATA1 to SATA2 and the Windows drive from SATA0 to SATA1. Then I installed the new SATA drive and plugged it into SATA0 (the primary master).

Then I installed Ubuntu 10.04 from a live CD (downloaded previously from the Ubuntu site and installed on a CD). It installed on the new drive with no problems. Then, when I rebooted, the boot choice screen had entries for booting both Ubuntu 10.04 and Windows 7. Both worked as expected.

I assume that the Windows disk was not touched in this process and that I could go back to the original (shipped) configuration if I wanted to. I haven't tried this...

I hope this is helpful to you...

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Re: Safe way to dual boot Ubuntu 10.04 & Windows 7

Quote Originally Posted by SaberCat View Post
    SATA0 (the primary master).
    Primary master? I don't believe there exists any such thing concerning SATA.
    If this helped you, please take the time to rate the value of this post:
    http://rate.affero.net/andrewthomas/

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Never hurts to be cautious, but millions of us have no problems. Check your information sources for bias.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Kubuntu

I think my system calls the Boot drive primary master even though it is SATA, but has IDE/PATA ports.

Primary master of course refers to IDE/PATA drives and BIOS that could only boot the primary master.
    UEFI boot install & repair info - Regularly Updated :
    https://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=2147295
    Please use Thread Tools above first post to change to [Solved] when/if answered completely.