Thread: Image from Ubuntu for later re-install

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.10 Maverick Meerkat

Question Image from Ubuntu for later re-install

Hi guys...
    I've been thinking about something, that i wanna share with you...
    I'm running Ubuntu 10.4, i'm very happy with it, just one thing... it needs lots of configuration...
    like every time that install a fresh release i need to re-install all of my applications again... i also need to re-install drivers... the other and the most important thing for me, is that i add a lot of different repositories which i constantly install apps form... in the other hand, i have a lot of configurations such as keyboard shortcuts, edge screen compiz configs and ...
    My question is... how can i backup everything so later on when i re-install Ubuntu, all of these configs would be returned...
    I know that with AptonCD application, i can back up my the packages i want in an installation disc... that is wonderful, but not quite what i want... i want some how to take an image of my current installation, as an .ISO file, then whenever i install this .ISO file, i would get everything as it is now on my system... so i don't need to re-configure everything...

Any suggestions? any one has done this before?
    helps are highly appreciated...

Cheers

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Re: Image from Ubuntu for later re-install

I asked a similar question before and got a reply.

I was told to use Clonezilla

http://clonezilla.org/

It can make an image of your hard drive for re installations.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Quote Originally Posted by alibahaloo View Post
    Hi guys...
    I've been thinking about something, that i wanna share with you...
    I'm running Ubuntu 10.4, i'm very happy with it, just one thing... it needs lots of configuration...
    like every time that install a fresh release i need to re-install all of my applications again... i also need to re-install drivers... the other and the most important thing for me, is that i add a lot of different repositories which i constantly install apps form... in the other hand, i have a lot of configurations such as keyboard shortcuts, edge screen compiz configs and ...
    My question is... how can i backup everything so later on when i re-install Ubuntu, all of these configs would be returned...
    I know that with AptonCD application, i can back up my the packages i want in an installation disc... that is wonderful, but not quite what i want... i want some how to take an image of my current installation, as an .ISO file, then whenever i install this .ISO file, i would get everything as it is now on my system... so i don't need to re-configure everything...

Any suggestions? any one has done this before?
    helps are highly appreciated...

Cheers
    Also see this.

http://www.remastersys.klikit-linux.com/

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 16.04 Xenial Xerus

Yep, Clonezilla is what you need.

I have an old laptop with a oddball wireless card which took a lot of fiddling to make work. I found that updates frequently broke the wireless so I used clonezilla to image the system and roll it back to a working state if I couldn't easily fix the wireless.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

I use Remastersys as mentioned at #3 above.