Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 567

Thread: cannot mount /dev/lop0 (/cdrom/casper/filesystem. squashfs

Beans

Re: cannot mount /dev/lop0 (/cdrom/casper/filesystem. squashfs

Quote Originally Posted by mrgs View Post
    Before downloading again you should test the MD5 sum of the ISO. If it is correct, there is no point in a new download.
    https://help.ubuntu.com/community/HowToMD5SUM

A better choice is trying an older release of Ubuntu, preferably an alternate install.
    This ended up being the cause of my problem. I received the
    "can not mount /dev/loop (/cdrom/casper/filesystem.squashfs)" message, searched this forum, say this post, checked the MD5 and it didn't match the hash on
    https://help.ubuntu.com/community/UbuntuHashes

I redownloaded the iso, checked the hash again, burned the CD, and presto it worked.

Seems like there are many causes for this error, and this is just one of them, but an easy one to check. Hope it helps.

Beans

My problem is that I am using Windows 7. How do I resolve the issue in Win 7? I want to burn a CD with Ubuntu, done it 3 times in version 11.04 & 10.04 getting the same error in 2 different computers.
    "(initramfs) mount mounting /dev/loop0 on filesystem.squashfs failed: Input/Output error
    Cannot mount /dev/loop0 (/cdrom/casper/filesystem.squashfs on // filesystem.squashfs"

Beans
    Distro
    Lubuntu 16.10 Yakkety Yak

Hi, welcome to the fora.

If you install Unetbootin in Windows and use it for creating a USB stick, can you then install Ubuntu?
    Bringing old hardware back to life. About problems due to upgrading.
    Please visit Quick Links -> Unanswered Posts
    Don't use this space for a list of your hardware. It only creates false hits in the search engines.

Beans

I am also having trouble with this error, the drive I would like to install Ubuntu on (the only drive connected) is 320Gb.

I recently tried wiping it, though it did fail to finish.
    It doesn't show up on 'my computer' anymore.

Please, some advice would be very helpful.

Beans
    Distro

I don't think we can add more to your findings. If you suspect hardware errors, best is to download some tools from the harddisk vendor and test it.
    Don't use this space for a list of your hardware. It only creates false hits in the search engines.

Beans

I tried again on 2 other hdds after finding out initial was broken. I've tried the cd/dvd boot, the suggested usb pendrive method and the unetbootin method. All of which end with this same error. Both 300gb, and 40gb drives are freshly formatted.

Beans
    Distro

But do you get this exact error?

"can not mount /dev/loop (/cdrom/casper/filesystem.squashfs) ..."

Else it is best to open a new thread.

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Just chiming in with the same problem and what worked.

MD5 was good but trying to verify MD5 on the burnt CD failed.(Brasero) Not sure if it has something to do with the SATA controller as posted before or not, but using a USB stick worked fine.

If this error is indeed caused by multiple unique scenarios, I would think it would be easier to track down the code and insert a proper "Laymans" error message with maybe some suggestions for a fix. This would considerably cut down on the frustration for a new user and make the whole experience tolerable should something go wrong.

First impressions are everything, and printing out cryptic messages on a console screen would turn off all but the most determined. If Ubuntu has hopes of competing with the big boys, it needs to be on top of an issue like this, if only just a message on how to get further help. I'd be kinda embarrassed if I was trying to convert someone and this happened to them. I really hope this gets the attention it deserves.

Cheers,
    Ako
    Xubuntu 12.04LTS (Precise) 3.2.0-51-generic x86_64
    Xfce 4 Desktop Environment - version 4.10.2 (Xfce 4.10)

Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 567