Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Canon Pixma MG5200 Series Printers and Ubuntu

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Re: Canon Pixma MG5200 Series Printers and Ubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by PZJM View Post
    I have one more question if this thread is still alive. If I plug my printer into the wireless router (via ethernet cable) technically I should be able to access the printer from my ethernet connected desktop and wireless laptop (both running Ubuntu 10.10 64bit).

Currently, my wireless printer is connected directly to my desktop via usb. However, I want to make my wireless printer available to all computers in the house. I'm thinking that connecting my wireless printer to the router will all me to share the printer between computers? Does this sound correct? Also, would I need to uninstall the current driver or just run the setup again.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.
    The MG5200 has built in wireless networking. You can connect it to your wireless router through the settings in the printer's control panel / LCD screen. I'm not sure mine even has an ethernet port (it's 3 floors down and I'm too lazy to go look).

I've never used my MG5200 with any of my computers (Ubuntu 10.10 and Win7) other than over the wireless network. You may want to assign it a static IP. I did, not sure if letting it use DHCP could/would cause any issues.

I doubt that you'll need to uninstall the driver. For Ubuntu, just try System->Administration->Printing. Click the Add button. Expand the Network Printer option on the left and wait a few (1-10) seconds. It should refresh and show the Canon-MG5200-series_xx-xx-xx-xx-xx-xx. Select that printer, click Forward, it should search for and find the driver.

Beans

Link still works great and thank you for directing to useful download. Set it up on the network directly without using a USB cable to start with.
    THANKS AGAIN

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Holy cow guys! So glad I wasn't the only one having trouble with this. Didn't think it would get this much attention really. I myself haven't run into many issues...but I don't use the scanner, just copy and print. I don't frequent here as much as I do the Android forums on XDA, so sorry if I missed questions. Looks like others took over for me while I wasn't paying attention to this thread. A big thanks to YOU all! Glad to help

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 9.04 Jaunty Jackalope

Thanks to the original poster for putting up the link to this driver. I was getting very frustrated because I could not get my MG5220 to work; until I found this link. Ran the install.sh in terminal and it works great now. Thank you again!!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.10 Intrepid Ibex

Yes, the MG5200 series IJ Printer Driver Ver. 3.40 for Linux works great. The install.sh ran beautifully. I wish all my printers were this easy.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

I've never run an .sh script before!

Is there a kind person who will guide me through this process???

I need my MG5220 setup for school. TIA

EDIT:

Nevermind. I got it working! I had to use search but the answer is here in the forums for beginning ubuntu users. That installs the driver to use the copier and printer. I got my ThinkPad to connect with it wirelessly. I also used the "scangearmp" link to download and install the driver for the scanner. Doesn't work with "simple scan." I have to open terminal and type in the command to get the canon scan "GUI" to appear. Doesn't bother me at all tho

Thanks to the people who contributed and found answers on this thread!
    Last edited by emeraldgirl08; November 3rd, 2011 at 04:12 PM.
    Lenovo ThinkPad X200Tablet
    Lenovo ThinkPad T500
    W7/Ubuntu 13.04

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by JLH02 View Post
    Hitman, thank you very much for the link. Install on 10.04 went smooth, I have it set up over a wireless network now.

I also was able to get the scan function working over wireless using drivers from the same site.

ScanGear MP documentation
    http://support-au.canon.com.au/conte...300410801.html

ScanGear MP software (debian package)
    http://support-au.canon.com.au/conte...100303002.html

It's not great software, but it works. You can either launch scangear from within GIMP or at the command line:

Code:
     joe-laptop ~$scangearmp &
    It gave me an error message on the first launch, all I had to do was tell it to update the scanners list.
    First, many thanks to hitman and others that helped solve the print & scan driver "mystery" for PIXMA devices! If you're using the GNOME desktop, and want a shortcut for the ScanGear program on the Applications menu, here's a link with instructions:

http://library.gnome.org/users/user-...editor.html.en

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by nwstephens View Post
    Yes, the MG5200 series IJ Printer Driver Ver. 3.40 for Linux works great. The install.sh ran beautifully. I wish all my printers were this easy.
    Canon MG 5220 Printer Hi Everyone, I'm very very new to this. I have Linux and Ubuntu and I'm trying to just hook up my Canon Printer to my computer. I"m getting very frustrated. I've seen posts concerning hooking up this printer to a computer. However, I'm very confused. Can anyone help me out, like step by step sorry.

Beans

I guess this is a quasi bump. I'm just making any others aware that it works for printing on Ubuntu 11.10 64. Haven't tried scanning yet but will try to get to that at a later date.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Aggiepride2003 View Post
    Canon MG 5220 Printer Hi Everyone, I'm very very new to this. I have Linux and Ubuntu and I'm trying to just hook up my Canon Printer to my computer. I"m getting very frustrated. I've seen posts concerning hooking up this printer to a computer. However, I'm very confused. Can anyone help me out, like step by step sorry.
    No prob, this is what worked for me. Download this:

http://support-au.canon.com.au/conte...100301702.html

extract it. Look inside the folder for the file named "install.sh" Double click it and then select run in terminal. Don't be afraid of the GUIless install just read the prompts and respond as fits your situation. Even works for the wireless install.

Good Luck!!

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast