Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 10.04 LTS vs 10.10?

Beans

10.04 LTS vs 10.10?

I am a little bit confused as to why there has been another version of Ubuntu on the threshold of release so soon after 10.04 "LTS". It was my understanding that LTS meant "long term support".

What is the need for another version so soon? Should those of us on 10.04 be upgrading & if yes, why?

PaulW2U is offline I Ubuntu, Therefore, I Am
    Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 18.04 Bionic Beaver

Re: 10.04 LTS vs 10.10?

There's a new release very six months, you don't have to upgrade if your present version is working well for you. Some will say keeping with the LTS releases is preferable for new and less experienced users anyway.

https://wiki.ubuntu.com/Releases should help you understand the frequency and lifetime of each release.

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 20.04 Focal Fossa

Quote Originally Posted by PaulW2U View Post
    Some will say keeping with the LTS releases is preferable for new and less experienced users anyway.
    I'm not a new user, but sticking with the LTS releases is preferable to me.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Quote Originally Posted by malspa View Post
    I'm not a new user, but sticking with the LTS releases is preferable to me.
    I think that is good bet to make.
    Yeah I know pirated copy of XP is free, but so is Ubuntu and it's LEGAL!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Just to flip to the other side of the coin. I started using ubuntu with 8.04 LTS. Have not really used an LTS since I installed 9.04

Currently running 9.10 and 10.10 with sabayon linux. It is all a matter of preference. Those who like stability or are squeamish at troubleshooting are best left to the LTS. Those who like cutting edge versions of software and tinkering are better with the "other releases".
    Last edited by presence1960; October 4th, 2010 at 12:18 AM.
    Multi-boot: Arch linux, Ubuntu 12.04, Windows 7 & Windows 8

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by presence1960 View Post
    It is all a matter of preference. Those who like stability or are squeamish at troubleshooting are best left to the LTS. Those who like cutting edge versions of software and tinkering are better with the "other releases".
    Yeah -- or if you're like me and just like to stay put for a couple of years, stick with LTS. I'm either lazy or don't have time to be dealing with new releases every six months. Or both!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Quote Originally Posted by malspa View Post
    Yeah -- or if you're like me and just like to stay put for a couple of years, stick with LTS. I'm either lazy or don't have time to be dealing with new releases every six months. Or both!
    probably neither you sited, more likely not having the proper tools. See here

I just did this again when installing 10.10. It installs all packages from repositories in the list. Any third party software, manually installed software and software installed from source code have to be reinstalled- everything else is done for you. been using it since 9.04
    Last edited by presence1960; October 4th, 2010 at 12:19 AM.
    Multi-boot: Arch linux, Ubuntu 12.04, Windows 7 & Windows 8

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by presence1960 View Post
    probably neither you sited, more likely not having the proper tools. See here
    Thanks for the link, but... Nah, has nothing to do with not having the proper tools. I seriously have no need to use anything but LTS versions. Pretty much the same thing with Debian, I'm fine hanging Debian Stable for the duration.

Seems to me that most of the Ubuntu users who post at these forums about problems are folks who follow the six-month cycle. I could be wrong about that, but that's my impression.

I run several distros, and Mepis is the only one where I bother to put in the a new version more than once every two years -- and even with Mepis, I've skipped the latest version (waiting for Mepis 11 sometime early next year). Ubuntu's six-month cycle simply isn't a good fit for me. It's great that Ubuntu and Linux Mint have LTS options.

Beans
    Hidden!

As with presence1964 .... I still use 8.04 and 9.04 ... because they work for me.

Someday, I will go to 10.04

Regards.
    "The key to everything is patience. You get the chicken by hatching the egg, not by smashing it" .... A. Glasow

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

I stick to the LTS versions because ubuntu tends to have more problems on my laptop when I install any of the others. Hate to start using four letter words here, but if it's not LTS it's beta!
    And then, all of a sudden, nothing happened!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast