Thread: White Screen instead of desktop in 10.10 (Radeon 7500 card)

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

White Screen instead of desktop in 10.10 (Radeon 7500 card)

I have upgraded an IBM T41 laptop from UNR 10.04 to 10.10 beta. Upgrade ran fine.

After rebooting, I see the splash screen, and eventually the screen goes white. It does this over a few transitions, most likely in the time between X starting and having the desktop loading (I have auto logon enabled).

Once it is all white, I can Ctrl-Alt-F1 to the terminal. Since then I have disabled auto login but same result. I have also removed Unity (I use UNR and the T41 doesn't have a 3d graphics card), and have the same white screen.

Only after removing xserver-xorg-video-radeon, can I get to the Ubuntu Desktop (in 16 colour glory).

The Thinkpad T41 has a Radeon Mobility 7500 in it, and ran fine in UNR 10.04 (which is also a different kernel).

There was no xorg.conf in use (although I have added one during testing and forced the radeon driver to load) and I reviewed xorg log but didn't see anything.

Any ideas on how to get X working properly again?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Re: White Screen instead of desktop in 10.10 (Radeon 7500 card)

Same problem here on a Lenovo S10-2. Did you manage to find a fix?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Mate Development Release

To both of you ...

If you're going to upgrade to pre-release versions of Ubuntu, then you need to keep a close check on the appropriate Development forum -- which is where these kinds of posts (and answers) are supposed to go.

As a matter of fact, if you check the Maverick Development forum and do a search on ATI, you will find a post dealing with radeon-driver problems that also contains a fix.

So, please go to THAT forum with your questions, not here.

And in the future, please post your Beta-related questions to the proper Development forum. You'll get answers a lot quicker that way.
    Ubuntu 20.04, Mint 19.10; MS Win10 Pro.
    Will not respond to PM requests for support -- use the forums.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Sorry, this was the first result I saw when searching for the problem. I have re-posted here: http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.p...26#post9921026

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

OK cheers. I did try #ubuntu+1 irc channel with no response, and reviewed the Beta page to try and work out which forum this post belongs in. I would suggest clarifying the beta page with a direct link to the relevant forum.

For others, the correct forum is:
    Ubuntu Forums > The Ubuntu Forum Community > Other Community Discussions > Development & Programming > Maverick Meerkat Testing and Discussion

This question has been reposted and solved in there
    Last edited by ubanksy; October 5th, 2010 at 12:20 PM. Reason: added URL, resolution