Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Which version do you use and why?

Beans

Question Which version do you use and why?

Good evening everyone.
    We have a discussion going in my family and want some educated opinions.

There is...
    Ubuntu
    Kubuntu
    Xubuntu

Which are you using, and why?

Which is best suited for Laptops...

We have "factory" burns of all three 10.4 LTS *.iso files along with Ubuntu "Server" 10.4.

We (Wifey, two step-daughters, and one of their husbands) would like some educated review/feedback on this subject.

I personally believe you, the users are the best ones to ask...

I am running a "wubi" install of Ubuntu 10.4.1 LTS and will definitely kiss Windows XP(Home - SP3) good-by soon on my personal PC for a full Linux install.

It has an AMD-Athlon-64 PCU and 2GB of RAM - DDR-PC3200-400Mhz (maxed out to Mother Board specks) 100Gb hard drive.

I am not stuck in an O/S trap. Just want some real educated feedback before I jump into some flavor of Ubuntu as a "hard" install.

Thank you very much for any and all replies...
    Larry Henry
    Scottsburg Linux Users Group (The Henry Family...LOL)
    Last edited by OperatorA; October 1st, 2010 at 11:36 PM. Reason: miss spells
    Thank you Linus (Linux)...you brought my PC back to life!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Mate 18.04 Bionic Beaver

Re: Which version do you use and why?

The difference between the three is in the Desktop Environments each uses, namely, Gnome, KDE, xfce.
    Check out the link below for more info.
    http://psychocats.net/ubuntu/whichbuntu

IMO, all three are well suited for Laptops, and the choice boils down to the rather vague thing called personal preference.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

I have only used Kubuntu and Ubuntu but I hope this will help.

I use Ubuntu mainly but can also boot in Kubuntu (http://www.psychocats.net/ubuntu/kde) via session selector.

I like ubuntu probably because I've used it for 5 years but also because it is easy to customize and install other programs. Ubuntu uses gnome as opposed to KDE so the desktop looks different. Also, you can use Ubuntu One(https://one.ubuntu.com/) easier or Ubuntu than KDE, in my experience.

Kubuntu is very graphical appealing but, in my experience, a little slower. It has a nice desktop and nice apps but it is a little less easy to use then Kubuntu. Kubuntu also comes with a lot of games(if you're into that kinda thing).

For web browsing, you will need to install Firefox onto Kubuntu while it comes with Ubuntu.

Also, rhythembox, Ubuntu's music player uses the Ubuntu One music store which is very nice because you can have all your music in one place as opposed to using many different programs. Ipods are also usable with both rhythembox as well as Amarok(the Kubuntu music player.)

As for the laptop, I would put on normal Ubuntu. My laptop runs slower on KDE than on Ubuntu but that could just be me.

Finaly, if you ever need a windows app, you can use:

VirtualBox(http://www.virtualbox.org/) which works fine on KDE, Gnome, and should work well on XFCE

or

Wine(http://www.winehq.org/) which should also work on all distros.

Thank you for using Ubuntu!

Beans

That was kinda how I feel...UBUNTU...

I did a "Live" on Kubuntu, and "Live" on Xubuntu. I think Xubuntu might be better for my laptop as it is a Dell Inspiron 1000 built in 2004 and it is maxed out at 512MB of RAM (all it will hold). From what i read Xubuntu is "lighter" on the resources.

I think for me Ubuntu will be the choice for my PC as I find Kubuntu too "busy" for my taste. I do not need a lot of "eye-candy" to make me happy. I like a more direct and intuitive interface. I am an ex IBM Main-framer who communicated to "my" mainframe through an IBM-PS/2 terminal.

I have had MS-DOS 6.22/Windows 3.11, Windows 95, Windows 98, and Windows XP on my machines. I have had 2 PCs with Windows XP installed on them. A 2001 eMachines (256MB of Ram) and an eMachines W3410 (2005 Phoenix BIOS) that came with 512MB of RAM and is now running the motherboard max of 2GB. (this computer)

It has an AMD-Athlon-64 processor, but I think for now I'll load the 32-bit Ubuntu on it, as I hear there are stability problems on some PCs using the 64-bit version. I did tery the "live" 64-bit CD and all went well...

Ubuntu runs well on my eMachines except for a hang while installing on the "battery check" part. I have learned to just unplug my computer (shut-down button just leads to an endless cycle of reboots) plug it back in, and it finishes the install just fine. I know this is PC specific as I have loaded Ubuntu (wubi installs)on two other family members' PCs with no problems.

Well i need another cup of coffee...i live for coffee and messing around with PCs...LOL

Thanks guys...

Larry Henry

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 13.04 Raring Ringtail

I download and install Ubuntu and then install KDE over the top. For the simple reason I use both GTK and KDE apps. And that's the easiest and quickest way to install all the apps I use.

Beans

Question Re: Which version do you use and why?

One more Question...does Ubuntu Netbook Remix have the ability to read and write to a hard drive? I thought "Netbooks" did not have hard drives...(never seen or used one)
    Thanks...Larry

Beans

Ubuntu is the official one an is the most stable of the three. For a fist time user, it is probably the best.

Kubuntu comes with KDE, which is a different Desktop Environment (i.e. it looks different, has a different set of default applications and some differences in underlying technology). Some people like KDE some people like Gnome (the Ubuntu DE). It is a matter of personal choice really, however, in my experience Kubuntu works better on a Desktop. I have had some glitches with Kubuntu + Laptops.

Xubuntu comes with XFCE, which is yet another DE. XFCE aims to be extremely light-weight and has considerably faster than the others. Overall it looks a lot like Gnome, however, speed comes at the expense of a few features.

The good news in all of that is that you don't have to choose. You can install all three DE (actually 4, you can add Lubuntu + LXDE to the mix) and upon boot, you can choose which one you want. You can try them all and pick the one you like (or maybe different people in your family would like different ones).

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by OperatorA View Post
    One more Question...does Ubuntu Netbook Remix have the ability to read and write to a hard drive? I thought "Netbooks" did not have hard drives...(never seen or used one)
    Thanks...Larry
    Netbook is just like regular Ubuntu, except the DE has been reworked to make it work nicer on a small screen. Also, all Netbooks that I have seen do have hard-drives.

wojox is offline I Ubuntu, Therefore, I Am
    Beans

Quote Originally Posted by OperatorA View Post
    Thanks...Larry
    It depends. You can get them with or without.

Which version? Ubuntu running Gnome. That's just what is default and what I stuck with. I've tried the others, but keep coming back to Gnome.

I couldn't believe I downloaded something as cool as this and it didn't cost me anything.

Beans

I've used every single version of Ubuntu. If you're looking a (similar to) Windows environment, then Kubuntu would probably be for you, although it is a little more complex than normal. Regular Ubuntu is what I use the most, it's a lot simpler and it's my personal preference. Xubuntu is (nearly) the same as regular Ubuntu, just a lot better for use on older computers. I strongly recommend starting out with just regular Ubuntu, it's what I did and I never regretted it.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast