Thread: Complete freezes

Beans

Complete freezes

10.04. It seems to happen only when I'm listening to Pandora -- but I'm listening to Pandora for most of the work day, so I can't be sure. There'll be a sudden complete freeze, no response from mouse or keyboard whatsoever. I have to do a hard shutdown. I know it's a long shot to post such a vague problem, but I have no idea how to proceed. I've had to switch to Windoze in the meantime, which is humiliating and depressing.

I tried using Firefox instead of Chrome, but the same problem occurred. The freezes happen about once every three hours, but the frequency is inconstant.

Please help!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Gnome Development Release

Re: Complete freezes

Windows doesn't freeze on the same computer?

So far the only commonality is Pandora I think. You said it happens every 3 hours at least, so try to survive without Pandora for 4-5 hours and see if it really happens then.

Chrome/Firefox issue is ruled out but another commonality, Flash... What about that?

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by sikander3786 View Post
    Windows doesn't freeze on the same computer?

So far the only commonality is Pandora I think. You said it happens every 3 hours at least, so try to survive without Pandora for 4-5 hours and see if it really happens then.

Chrome/Firefox issue is ruled out but another commonality, Flash... What about that?
    Even though I usually am using Pandora, I have spent many hours on the machine without it, and it has never happened under those conditions. I suspect it is something to do with Flash, but I don't know what to do about that suspicion.

And no, it doesn't happen under Windows, on the same machine

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Gnome Development Release

Some very common flash issues/solutions are listed here. (courtesy of forum member lovinglinux)

http://firefox-tutorials.blogspot.co...solutions.html

Too difficult to say what is causing that. Check the xorg and message logs from System > Administraton > Log File Viewer for something strange. Also try killing X by using Ctrl + Alt + Backspace when it hangs up and see if the hardware is freezing or it is only the X server.

If you don't have the Ctrl + Alt + Backspace combination enabled, you can enable it from System > Preferences > Keyboard > Layouts > Options > Key sequence to kill the X Server and tick the corresponding box.

Beans

That website doesn't seem to list a relevantly similar problem, but I might try installing an older version of flash, or maybe replace it with gnash.

I'll try killing X next time it happens, thanks.