Thread: after update, only grub command line

Beans

after update, only grub command line

I recently updated, and now when I boot it only goes as far as grub command line. There is no grub menu.

The computer is a Dell Inspiron 8600 laptop with only Ubuntu installed -- no dual boot, no weird partition schemes. Originally installed Ubuntu 09.04 on this computer, upgraded a couple times and it currently has (had) 10.04.1 LTS running. The update should have upgraded from kernel 2.6.32-23 to 2.6.32-24.

I can boot with a live CD and mount the hard drive. The drive seems fine, so it appears to be simply a grub config issue.

I have to boot with live cd to get online to check for potential solutions. So I'm taking some notes on how to use grub. I'll try a couple things and check back here to see if anyone has suggestions. I'll post a followup if I do find my own solution.

Beans

Re: after update, only grub command line

Ok, on bootup I have GNU GRUB version 1.98-1ubuntu7.

I kept getting the error message "unknown command 'kernel'" -- apparently the 'kernel' command has been changed to 'linux' -- who knew?

Code:
    grub> root (hd0,1)
    grub> linux /vmlinuz root=/dev/sda1
    grub> boot
    This works, and I'm back in my system again. Now, what do I need to change so that it boots automatically again? (and why did the latest update break it?)

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Quote Originally Posted by asynchronous13 View Post
    Now, what do I need to change so that it boots automatically again? (and why did the latest update break it?)
    Run "sudo update-grub" and see if that fixes the /boot/grub/grub.cfg entry.
    Back to Xorg...

Retired.

Beans

Yep, that did it.

Code:
    sudo update-grub
    Now the laptop is booting like normal again. Guess I'll mark this one as solved.

Now, if I could only figure out why it says "Error: out of disk." every time I boot....

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Quote Originally Posted by asynchronous13 View Post
    Now the laptop is booting like normal again. Guess I'll mark this one as solved.

Now, if I could only figure out why it says "Error: out of disk." every time I boot....
    The "Error: out of disk" seems to be one of the hardest grub errors to pinpoint. However, if your computer is booting that's not one I'd prefer to tackle tonight!

Thanks for marking it SOLVED, but don't forget - it's reversible...
    Back to Xorg...

Retired.