Thread: How to boot live cd in vesa mode ?

Beans

How to boot live cd in vesa mode ?

Hello,

i want to boot the live cd of ubuntu 10.10 in safe mode (vesa or fbdev driver). The boot options are gone. Is there any way to show them ?
    The pc freezes before the first boot image shows (its like it freezes before the bootloader).

I have an imac with 7600 nvidia but the graphic card is fried. I use ubuntu 10.04 with software rendering but no 3d hardware acceleration.
    Because of the broken card nouveau KMS fails so i can only boot with fbdev or vesa which is fine with me

Any help is appreciated

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Re: How to boot live cd in vesa mode ?

When Ubuntu starts:

F6 then Esc to see the boot:

file=/cdrom/preseed/ubuntu.seed boot=casper initrd=/casper/initrd.lz quiet splash --

Remove quiet splash and add xforcevesa so it looks like this

file=/cdrom/preseed/ubuntu.seed boot=casper initrd=/casper/initrd.lz xforcevesa --

Then Enter to boot.

Beans

Yes but i don't reach that point. It freezes before it shows anything. Fedora shows the boot screen (with the 10 secs countdown) and there i can select safe mode. In ubuntu it does not reach that point. Any thoughts ?

Beans

Ok after some more searching i found that it needed the special live cd from ubuntu for mac. Probably some EFI issue