Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Tascam US122 on x64 / 64 bit

Beans

Tascam US122 on x64 / 64 bit

Hi,

I'm having a bit of fun trying to install my US122 with UbuntuStudio64 10.04

A forum member said in a previous post that some versions of the US122 do not work with Linux.
    Going through the usual Unbuntu community installation procedure https://help.ubuntu.com/community/TASCAM_US-122; I've managed to get Linux to see the Tascam interface when running '# lsusb', however am having an issue on finding the alsamixergui package.
    Is anyone aware that this means that my interface should eventually work with Linux?

I'd really appreciate a response if anyone knows, as I have a lot hanging on whether this will work or not. .

I've heard of Synaptic, and am getting the feeling this may help with the search of all the required Alsa packages.
    Do they need to be specific to the version of Ubuntu? I've ensured I installed all x64 versions, but wasn't really paying full attention to the version. Hence, whenever running: -

# sudo apt-get install fxload alsa-base alsa-firmware-loaders alsa-tools alsa-tools-gui alsa-utils alsamixergui alien

.. it was saying lots of packages were missing, with the latest being alsamixergui.

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 16.04 Xenial Xerus

Re: Tascam US122 on x64 / 64 bit

Yes, use Synaptic! It's found in System/Administration. Use "Search," not "quick search." When you find what you want, such as "alsamixergui" you can right-click on it, and select "mark for installation." You can select as many programs as you want, then click on "Apply" to actually install them.

If you have never run Synaptic, the first thing to do is select Settings/Repositories, and select everything except "source code" in the first two tabs. That will get you the partner, restricted and proprietary software. Then you need to "reload".

While you're in there, get the "restricted extras."

Beans
    Hidden!

I dont even know what that tascam is, but let me just say that lsusb will detect any USB device (that isnt broken), but that doesnt mean that there are working drivers for it.

That said, the link you gave is completely obsolete. It written for ubuntu 6.06. Those packages shouldnt be needed anymore. Im afraid Im not in to ubuntu studio or MIDI enough to help much beyond that, but perhaps enter

Code:
    aplay -l
    in a terminal and see if it shows up there. If it does, then you will probably be able to get it working.

Beans

Hello,

aplay -l doesn't bring anything up, maybe that means it isn't going to work, hmm...

@gordintoronto
    Thanks for the tips, loads of stuff seemed to get installed...

The alsamixergui package error has gone now

However, when trying to run: -

sudo fxload -s /home/andy/alsa-firmware-1.0.19/ld2-ezusb.hex -I /usr/share/alsa/firmware/usx2yloader/us122fw.ihx -D /dev/bus/usb/002/002

I get: -

/home/andy/alsa-firmware-1.0.19/ld2-ezusb.hex: unable to open for input.

Again, any tips would be great!

Cheers

Beans
    Hidden!

The default download folder has changed. Its probably not in your home folder but in Downloads. Replace "/home/andy/alsa-f..." with /home/andy/Downloads/alsa-f..".

Beans

It's def in /home/andy/...

I'm thinking of using my internal digital sound card for now, which I can see via: -

andy@VentaHome:~/alsa-firmware-1.0.19$ aplay -l
    **** List of PLAYBACK Hardware Devices ****
    card 0: Intel [HDA Intel], device 0: ALC887 Analog [ALC887 Analog]
    Subdevices: 1/1
    Subdevice #0: subdevice #0
    card 0: Intel [HDA Intel], device 1: ALC887 Digital [ALC887 Digital]
    card 0: Intel [HDA Intel], device 3: INTEL HDMI [INTEL HDMI]

I'm sure it'll play at 44.1k but I really need it to output at 24bit to go into a nice converter

Does anybody know how I can check to see if it outputs at 24 bit?

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 16.04 Xenial Xerus

I would be astonished if it output 24-bit. A 24-bit DAC costs more than $0.99.... For 1000000 00000000 00000000 to be the right distance from 0111111 11111111 11111111 means the high-order resistor is accurate to one-eight-millionth. (Yes, I intentionally made the first byte just 7 bits.)

What source material do you have which is 24-bit? Is there some reason you think you can hear a difference between 16-bit and 24-bit? My ears have never been *that* good.

Beans

From what I understand 16bit audio is up-sampled to 24bit, and sounds more 'complete' - lending to an advantage of mixing in 24bit. .

Beans
    Hidden!

You need 24 bit (arguably even 32 bit) if you are mixing.
    For playback, AFAIK its useless. You are going to need a very highend amplifier, headphones (or audio set and an acoustic room) and a trainer ear for there to be a chance to hear a difference, and even then I wouldnt bet on it.

Beans

A/B it - it's certainly audible. .

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast