Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Mount Windows user share folder at login

Beans
    Distro
    Edubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Re: Mount Windows user share folder at login

guimenez-
    Did you get this to work so that various users could get their windows shares mounted? It looked like you were successful, based on your last post. If so, what version are you using?

What worked for you?

Your original posted included code for 3 or 4 different pam config files. Did you need all of these or just the last one?

I am also using likewise-open (6.0) on 10.10 and want to do something similar for a group of students using various machines and each with their own windows share, which is named based on their username.

Looks like your domain setup is similar to my own.

Thanks
    Paul

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by pwebster25 View Post
    guimenez-
    Did you get this to work so that various users could get their windows shares mounted? It looked like you were successful, based on your last post. If so, what version are you using?

What worked for you?

Your original posted included code for 3 or 4 different pam config files. Did you need all of these or just the last one?

I am also using likewise-open (6.0) on 10.10 and want to do something similar for a group of students using various machines and each with their own windows share, which is named based on their username.

Looks like your domain setup is similar to my own.

Thanks
    Paul
    Its very simple

1- install libpam-mount
    2 - install smbfs
    3 - add this line in your etc/security/pam_mount.conf.xml

<volume user="*" fstype="smbfs" server="your server ip" path="Group1/%(DOMAIN_USER)" mountpoint="~/%(DOMAIN_USER)" options="iocharset=utf8,file_mode=0700,dir_mode=07 00" />

you only need to change in the above lines the server ip and name of the shared group

it only that

Beans
    Distro

Thanks-
    I'll give it a try and report back.
    Paul

Beans
    Distro

Any idea what happens when the network share is unavailable? For example, if the server is down or if the user is logging in from home instead of inside the domain?

Beans

it will startup normally but without the mounted share. You will not have the shared folder icon in your desktop and will not receive any kind of error

cumps

guimenez

Beans

Any idea what happens when the network share is unavailable? For example, if the server is down or if the user is logging in from home instead of inside the domain?
    Did you get this to work, because I am running the exact same set up as u. 10.10 and likewise open 6.0.
    I have been looking for this solution for weeks.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by guimenez View Post
    Its very simple

1- install libpam-mount
    2 - install smbfs

<volume user="*" fstype="smbfs" server="your server ip" path="Group1/%(DOMAIN_USER)" mountpoint="~/%(DOMAIN_USER)" options="iocharset=utf8,file_mode=0700,dir_mode=07 00" />

you only need to change in the above lines the server ip and name of the shared group

it only that
    I am assuming I need to make sure my pam.d config files have to be set up as yours are on the previous page?
    Thanks for any help!

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by guimenez View Post
    Its very simple

1- install libpam-mount
    2 - install smbfs

it only that
    1. I installed Likewise Open 6 (from their website, not from the repositories, as there is a comment about an glitch in the version in the repositories.
    2. I did 1, 2, and 3 above.
    3. I added a folder called WindowsFolder to /etc/skel, so that it would be placed in each new users home folder.
    4. I added the following to my /etc/security/pam_mount.conf.xml
    5. -I added it just above the closing line: </pam_mount>

Code:
    <volume user="*" fstype="smbfs" server="IPAddress" path="staff-files/%(DOMAIN_USER)" mountpoint="/home/local/DOMAINNAME/%DOMAIN_USER/WindowsFolder" options="iocharset=utf8,file_mode=0700,dir_mode=07 00" />
    I ended up getting the WindowsFolder showing up for each user from /etc/skel but nothing mounted in it and no disk drive.

I changed my code in each of the other pam_mount files, per post #2 in this thread and then I changed my code in the /etc/security/pam_mount.conf.xml file to the following:
    Code:
    <volume user="*" fstype="cifs" server="IPAddress" path="staff-files/%(USER)" mountpoint="/home/local/DOMAINNAME/%(USER)/WindowsFolder" options="iocharset=utf8,file_mode=0700,dir_mode=07 00" />
    It did then mount a drive in the folder and on my desktop. However, it won't let me open it. It tells me I don't have permission. It also won't let me unmount the drive, saying I don't have access to fstab. I wonder if I need to do something related to group permissions or if I need to change something in the sudoers file.

I think I am so close. Any ideas?
    Last edited by pwebster25; December 4th, 2010 at 04:12 PM.

Beans

I have exactly the same problem [#18]. Did you solve this?

Beans
    Distro

Sorry. I gave up and moved to something else. I think out must be possible, as I can do it manually in nautilus.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast