Thread: Wireless Help?

Beans

Wireless Help?

Hi guys,

I recently purchased an acer aspire one d260 netbook from Staples with the intent of installing ubuntu on it ASAP. However, when I did this, I found that neither my wireless nor my Ethernet connection worked natively (in both the standard and netbook editions, both 10.04 & 10.10 betas). While the broadcom wireless driver seemed to be available through the restricted hardware manager using the CD, it consistently failed to install as I was using a USB for the installation. Also, my attempts to manually install the driver manually using .deb packages also failed, as I was forced to install countless packages to meet the dependencies of the others. TL;DR: I had to re-install windows 7, but was hoping someone could help me get wireless working or turn me on to a distro which had native support. Thanks!

P.S. I posted this in the General Help area but got no responses-hope it isnt an issue to post here as well!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Re: Wireless Help?

You must install the broadcom drivers online. I used an Ethernet cable to get it & the Ubuntu updates. You don't have to install Ubuntu to test it, but it does take a long time to load from your cd. Try it again with out installing & see if your Ethernet works. If it does, then you should be able to install 10.04 LTS & get a working Ethernet so you can download the broadcom driver.

Beans

Thanks for the reply lswartz, however, as I said before, my ethernet connection also didn't work! Im just hoping my situation isnt FUBAR

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Quote Originally Posted by AmericasCup222 View Post
    Thanks for the reply lswartz, however, as I said before, my ethernet connection also didn't work! Im just hoping my situation isnt FUBAR
    It won't even work when you do a trial vs install of Ubuntu?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

lshw

Your ethernet should work. Somethings not right.
    Lucid Lynx 10.04LTS amd64 user.

Beans

Well now...I cant even get the RC to boot off my thumbdrive anymore. Going to go search for my backup e.e