Thread: Proxy help wanted

Beans

Proxy help wanted

Hi...
    I hope you can help or guide me wit this issue.
    My service provider is closing almost all VoIP and censoring lots of websites (even google translated search). I've been researching for a long time to try overcome this.

Please correct me if I'm wrong.
    The solution might be setting up a proxy on my laptop to redirect all my traffic through it in a "shielded" tunnel that my ISP can't restrict, so I can use the internet as it should be used freely.
    Is my conclusion right?

If so, how can I do that.

I'll appreciate any help in this.

p.s. I'm not interested in proxy websites, because it does not enable me to use VoIP and some other websites and services, downloads... etc., the main thing is that I want to beat my ISP

Beans

Re: Proxy help wanted

Howdy,

If you want full control then you need to rent a Linux server in a free country. Run sshd on it and set up a Sox proxy with ssh from your laptop. Then tell your browser and Skype to use the proxy.

So your first problem is that you got to get a server. If you want details for soxifying Skype, send me a message.

Beans

thanks HermanAB

This might be a good solution for browsing. There are lots of free websites for such purpose.

I remember some time ago a friend gave me a small app that runs under windoze and it just puts the computer out of the control of the ISP.

From my readings for quite some time I found lots about setting up a proxy on your box to do the same... is this right? how-to?

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Quote Originally Posted by HermanAB View Post
    If you want full control then you need to rent a Linux server in a free country. Run sshd on it and set up a Sox proxy with ssh from your laptop. Then tell your browser and Skype to use the proxy.
    A cheaper solution is to rent a virtual machine. Take a look at www.linode.com. You can set up a 512M Linux machine for $20/month.

I'd use OpenVPN as a solution. Set up a tunnel between your computer and the VM, then make the remote host's tunnel address your default gateway. All traffic will then go through the tunnel to the remote VM, then out onto the Internet.

Perhaps your friend had a copy of the Tor client? If so, please don't use Tor for personal browsing and the like (and never for torrents). Tor was designed to help human rights activists in authoritarian regimes communicate anonymously with the outside world.

Beans

Thanks a lot SeijiSensei,

This really sounds great, reasonable price and good features. I had a quick look at the link!
    I'll study it thoroughly.

I'll look as well for other virtual servers/machines hoping to find something free to experiment with. If you have any free please let me know.

I'll be considering to use it for online backup, get my own domain name and have my own email server.

By the way, what you think if I used an old pc at a friend in a free country, get a fixed IP and use it for that purpose? Of course the upload speed there should be 256 at least to be able to enjoy that speed as a minimum on my laptop wherever I get a connection.

By the way, I don't use TOR. The software I mentioned was a different windoze software but I don't remember it's name, and I really don't care because I'm on linux.

Thanks again for your help.