Thread: Need to reroute a keyboard button

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Need to reroute a keyboard button

I'm a bit disabled and I need to change a key so that it produces another output. Basically, when I press on the End button, I want it to have the effect of hitting the "c" key. I still need C to have the same capability, but I want End to produce the same thing, since I never ever ever use End. Anybody know of a way to accomplish this?
    P4, 2.8 Ghz, 1 GB RAM

Beans
    Hidden!

Re: Need to reroute a keyboard button

It sounds like System->Preferences->Keyboard Shortcuts does something similar to what you want to achieve.
    Forum DOs and DON'Ts
    Please use CODE tags
    Including your email address in a post is not recommended
    My Blog

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Re: Need to reroute a keyboard button

Quote Originally Posted by lisati View Post
    It sounds like System->Preferences->Keyboard Shortcuts does something similar to what you want to achieve.
    I don't think so. If you can make what OP wants happen through settings there please say how as many of us could benefit. But I really think that is just for establishing combinations of keys that will issue commands (like commands on a terminal but without the terminal appearing). In other words, making some key combination act like a launcher.

What OP wants is a key remapper. I've never found a good one for linux. Somewhere on the Sabayon forum (where I have the same nic, I believe) you might find a long discussion where I was seeking one and a wise fellow offered some insights and suggestions. I got one of his methods to work, but not consistently. There is a more involved approach alluded to but not discussed, which I think would work consistently, but is beyond my ability. This isn't a horribly big deal to me and I haven't pursued it but if I were going to I would start by googling "linux keyboard remapper". Another approach would be to try one of the Windows keyboard remappers (that work fine under Windows - I used to use one under W2k) under Wine. Come to think of it, I may have talked myself into trying that soon. I'll try to remember to report back if I do.
    Please don't remove the forum archives!
    http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.p...1#post10640901