Thread: ATI driver not working

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

[Solved] ATI driver not working

Hi.

Yesterday I used the Update Manager in my PanP7 and, no idea why, the package FGLRX did something weird and is not longer working. I went to "Harware Drivers" and the ATI driver is not activated (even though it was a couple of days ago). I tried to activate it and it doesn't work, and the message says it has something to do with not being able to install fglrx. Any ideas???

Thanks,

Fernando
    Last edited by flucoe; September 29th, 2010 at 01:05 AM.
    Linux User #463723 | Ubuntu User #20466 |

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

Re: ATI driver not working

flucoe, I'm sorry you didn't get a response on the forums to this. Are you still having this problem?

(We've had a couple of customers we've been helping via email support with similar issues, and I'm wondering if you are one of them?)
    To err is human, to forgive is very ... dog-like.

Thomas Aaron
    FetchMasters, LLC

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Yes! I was one of those. Yesterday Ian helped me to solve the problem. Thanks.
    Linux User #463723 | Ubuntu User #20466 |

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.10 Maverick Meerkat

I've been having a hell of a time ever since upgrading to the "10-9-x86.x86_64" ATI drivers. They seem to be quite unstable, especially with an external monitor involved. I've now gotten X running again with glx related functionality broken, moving windows being laggy, etc. I'm going to attempt using the open source drivers or an older version of ATIs. Otherwise, I too will be taking advantage of System76's awesome support tomorrow.

Also, I noticed the ATI installer gave me these errors:
    [Error] Kernel Module : Failed to build fglrx-8.771 with DKMS
    [Error] Kernel Module : Removing fglrx-8.771 from DKMS
    System76 Pangolin Performance - panp7
    Intel Core i7 720QM (2.80 GHz) - 8GB DDR3 RAM
    ATI Mobility Radeon 4570, 512MB GDDR2
    500GB HDD @ 7200 RPM - Ubuntu 10.10

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Typically, the drivers directly from ATI are fairly unstable with Ubuntu. I'd use the ones available from (System > Administration > Hardware Drivers/Additional Drivers).
    Ian Santopietro - System76 Technical Support.
    Open a Support Ticket!
    Ask a Sales Question!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.10 Maverick Meerkat

OK, I was able to get it working (had to use recovery mode and console), by installing "fglrx" from the standard repos (after uninstalling the driver downloaded from ATI
    Code:
    sudo sh /usr/share/ati/fglrx-uninstall.sh
    Code:
    sudo aptitude install fglrx
    I also did various things listed here: https://help.ubuntu.com/community/RadeonHD, but the Open Source drivers never did seem to work for me.
    System76 Pangolin Performance - panp7
    Intel Core i7 720QM (2.80 GHz) - 8GB DDR3 RAM
    ATI Mobility Radeon 4570, 512MB GDDR2
    500GB HDD @ 7200 RPM - Ubuntu 10.10

Beans

Sorry, I'm still having problems on my PANP7, installing the proprietary driver through jockey or synaptic results in either a loss of compiz with moving windows acting very laggy, freezing on login screen, or most recently/commonly, just a blank screen after the plymouth loading animation.

The error report I submitted through Ubuntu's system was marked as duplicate of this bug, which tells me it's some kind of compiling error when dpkg installs it?

Also to note is any time I run fglrxinfo after installing it I get a segmentation fault, lending evidence to the "not properly compiling" thing. It's happened on a fresh Ubuntu install more than once.

One thing that confuses me is that it was marked as "fix released" yet I still get the issue on 10.04 and 10.10 RC, so is it supposed to be fixed or am I doing something wrong?