Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Multi Function Printer Problem

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.04 Natty Narwhal

Multi Function Printer Problem

Hello Everyone. I'm new to Ubuntu and I'm having real problems getting my Epson DX7450 to scan. It prints okay. I've googled and searched lots of forums and I'm not really having a great deal of success. I keep getting sent to the Avansys page and then I just get lost If someone could please help me, I will be eternally grateful. Thank you very much. Please be gentle with me as I'm a newbie!!

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 22.04 Jammy Jellyfish

Re: Multi Function Printer Problem

Quote Originally Posted by Skyline911 View Post
    I keep getting sent to the Avansys page and then I just get lost
    So did I!

Anyway, I found this bug report:

https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+s...ds/+bug/385505

Which is marked as a duplicate of this:

https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+s...ds/+bug/377977

If I read that correctly, simply adding "usb 0x4b8 0x838" to the file /etc/sane.d/epson2.conf solves the problem. Before I tell you how to do that - it's very easy - let's just check what's in that file. Open a terminal (Applications > Accessories) and run this command:

Code:
    cat /etc/sane.d/epson2.conf
    Copy and paste the output from the terminal into the message field to post it. I want to make sure your epson2.conf hasn't changed from the default before we go any further.
    Ubuntu 20.04 Desktop Guide - Ubuntu 22.04 Desktop Guide - Forum Guide to BBCode - Using BBCode code tags

Member: Not Canonical Team

If you need help with your forum account, such as SSO login issues, username changes, etc, the correct place to contact an admin is here. Please do not PM me about these matters unless you have been asked to - unsolicited PMs concerning forum accounts will be ignored.

Beans
    Distro

Hi Coffeecat. Thank you so much for responding so quickly. I have done as you say and this is the result:

# epson2.conf
    #
    # here are some examples for how to configure the EPSON2 backend

# SCSI
    scsi EPSON
    # for the GT-6500:
    #scsi "EPSON SC"

# Parallel port
    #pio 0x278
    #pio 0x378
    #pio 0x3BC

# USB
    usb

# For libusb support for unknown scanners use the following command
    # usb <product ID> <device ID>
    # e.g.:
    # usb 0x4b8 0x110

# Network
    #
    # net 192.168.1.123
    net autodiscovery

I hope I've done that right....

John.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

That's fine. In order to get that extra line into that configuration file, I'm going to give you a lengthy terminal command. In order to get it right - one mistake and it won't work or the wrong thing will happen - I suggest you copy and paste from this post. Highlight the code in the code box, copy it to the clipboard with ctrl-C and then paste it to a terminal prompt with ctrl-shift-V. Note that keyboard shortcuts in the terminal need the shift key as well.

Once you've pasted the command in, press enter and you will be prompted for your password. This is your login password. You won't see anything as you type it in - that's normal in the terminal. Don't worry, it's going in so long as you press enter after the password. This is the command to copy and paste:

Code:
    echo "usb 0x4b8 0x838" | sudo tee -a /etc/sane.d/epson2.conf
    Once you've done that, type the command 'cat /etc/sane.d/epson2.conf' in the terminal again to get the contents of the epson2.conf file. You should see the "usb 0x4b8 0x838" line, but without the quotes, at the end.

If that has worked OK, reboot and see if your Epson scanner works now. If it doesn't, we need to check something. The 0x4b8 0x838 number is a unique identifier for that Epson machine. I'm taking it on trust that the person who posted that number in the Launchpad thread got it right. If your Epson scanner is still not working, make sure it is switched on, open a terminal again, and post the output of:

Code:
    lsusb
    The output will include the identifier for your Epson and we can compare it with the above.
    Ubuntu 20.04 Desktop Guide - Ubuntu 22.04 Desktop Guide - Forum Guide to BBCode - Using BBCode code tags

If you need help with your forum account, such as SSO login issues, username changes, etc, the correct place to contact an admin is here. Please do not PM me about these matters unless you have been asked to - unsolicited PMs concerning forum accounts will be ignored.

Beans
    Distro

Thank you so much, Coffeecat. That has worked a treat. I just wish I had come here first for help rather than trawling the internet for hours and attempting to follow so many complicated instructions and "solutions". I shall know next time! Having only been on Ubuntu for about two months, I can honestly say it's getting better and better - especially when I have moments like this!! Thanks again - I wish there was some way I could repay you...

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

You have! I enjoy a problem solved.

Good luck with Ubuntu!

Beans
    Distro

I'm back!!

Do you (or anyone!?) know of a way of reliably monitoring the ink levels on the DX7450, please? I have tried using mtink but that does not seem to be working.

Thank you.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by Skyline911 View Post
    I'm back!!
    So am I.

I don't use an Epson (I use HP and the HPLIP-GUI does this for me) but looking in Synaptic I can see inkblot. Unfortunately named, but it uses the libinklevel library, website here:

http://libinklevel.sourceforge.net/#supported

... and I can see that the DX7450 is listed as supported.

Let us know how you get on with inkblot.

Beans
    Distro

Thanks. I've installed it from the software centre (I assume that was right?).

It is now an option under System menu. I clicked it and a little icon has appeared on my taskbar with a red cross on it. I right clicked on the icon and selected rescan devices and got the message

Inkblot Error

No supported printers found.

Please check your printer and cables and scan for printers again.

The printer is quite clearly connected and switched on!!

When I have sent this message I am going to do a reboot to see if that has any effect.... must be worth a try, mustn't it?

Beans
    Distro

No joy, I'm afraid

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast