Thread: install mandriva after ubuntu

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

install mandriva after ubuntu

i want to install mandriva distro (kde 2010 version) on a separate partion in my HDD , will it cause an problems with my grub? , i already have ubuntu 9.10 installed on the same HDD

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Mate

Re: install mandriva after ubuntu

If there is an option during the installation of Mandriva to not install a bootloader, I would go with that. Then, after installation go into Ubuntu and run
    Code:
    sudo update-grub
    which should then pick it up and add it to the menu.

Otherwise it will overwrite GRUB and use its bootloader, which is, I believe, Lilo and you would have to reinstall GRUB (which is not a problem)

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Rubi1200 View Post
    If there is an option during the installation of Mandriva to not install a bootloader, I would go with that. Then, after installation go into Ubuntu and run
    Code:
    sudo update-grub
    which should then pick it up and add it to the menu.

Otherwise it will overwrite GRUB and use its bootloader, which is, I believe, Lilo and you would have to reinstall GRUB (which is not a problem)

well after doing that- ( update grub from ubuntu) when i try to boot to mandriva i have kernel panic

the grub is on sda (ntfs partition) ubuntu is on sda2 mandriva on sda6, sda7 swap, sda8 -

during mandriva installation i put grub/ lilo on sda6 as there was no option to pass this...\

Beans

update :
    i tried to install again mandriva - so i have this situation on my second hdd

sdb: sdb5-ntfs, sdb2-xubuntu, sdb6-mandriva root, sdb7-swap, sdb8- home mandriva
    but the mandriva bootloader was setup on... sda- ntfs windows !
    if i want to boot windows i have to choose device list, then boot second drive sdb: there at xubuntu grub fortunately there is a windows entry for the other disk, sda- windows !
    if i let the computer boot on its own it boots sda --mandriva which is as said on sdb6!
    i know i can repair windows MBR with easyBSD, but is there a way i can sort this mess and get the two linux entries mandriva-xubuntu when i boot from sdb?
    without risking ofc

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 15.04 Vivid Vervet

For some reason grub2 mis-labels the Mandriva boot partition. Have a look here; https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Grub2. It should explain how to create a custom grub entry, which is what I did to get Mandriva to boot. BTW, when I installed Mandriva I just had it point its bootloader to the Mandriva /root partition.
    Registered Linux user #436067
    Registered Ubuntu user #29066
    -----------------------------
    Linux assumes you know exactly what you are doing.