Page 11 of 29 FirstFirst ... 91011121321 ... LastLast

Thread: I upgraded, and now I have this error...

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.10 Quantal Quetzal

Re: I upgraded, and now I have this error...

Quote Originally Posted by wkulecz View Post
    Before you upgrade, get an external USB drive and clone your system with
    sudo rsync -ax / /media/usbdrive

You'll need one rsync command for each partition you mount. The rsync docs are quite good.

This way you can recover if the install goes bad and try again and again if you want. Bone up on reinstalling grub or grub2 beforehand too.

Backing up /home only will not recover all the work you did installing and configuring extra packages which is likely the reason you want an upgrade instead of a fresh install!
    Just what I have been looking for
    At least I think so. I will try it out on next upgrade.
    Whats next?

dell XPS m1530, 4G ram, nvidia 8600m gs
    ubuntu mostly trying the latest release

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by mörgæs View Post
    You are welcome. This book gives a good introduction to Ubuntu:
    www.ubuntu-manual.org

It is written for 10.04, but most applies to 10.10 as well.
    Oh! Thanks! That is extremely useful!

Here is a beautiful video that feels is representative of your support and you!

All the best!

Toshiba Satellite Intel T1350, 1.86Ghz, 12.04 (precise), 32 bit Kernel version: 3.2.0-67-generic-pae, gnome 3.4.2, Intel Mobile 945GM/GMS, 943/940GML Express Integrated Graphics

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

Unhappy Re: I upgraded, and now I have this error...

i currently have ubuntu 9.10 + XP installed

i have downloaded the ISO of 10.10
    I tried to preview using "Install inside windows" with 3 GBs on the drive where windoz is installed.
    But after installing i am not able to log in.
    When i write wrong passwd it doesn't let me log on obviously,
    but even after writing the right passwd it redirects to the log-in page again.
    I thought I forgot the passwd but
    when I uninstalled & tried 2nd time ,it happened agin.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Hi,
    if this is a Wubi install, see here:
    http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1639198

In any event, so we can see what is going on with your setup, please boot the computer with a LiveCD and run the boot info script linked at the bottom of my post (instructions included).

Post the results back here and we will try and help you fix this.

Thanks.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by bcbc View Post
    From the release notes:
    If you have already upgraded and find that the system reboots, hangs or drops you at a grub prompt when selecting Ubuntu (with or without error messages), then first try to replace the c:\wubildr file from the one in c:\ubuntu\winboot\wubildr (change 'drive' if necessary and backup c:\wubildr first as a precaution). This fix has been confirmed by many different people, as it appears that in many cases the upgrade is corrupting the wubildr file.

Otherwise another workaround is to boot a live CD, loop mount the wubi root.disk, edit the grub.cfg (gksu gedit /mountpoint/boot/grub/grub.cfg) and remove all lines above the first "menuentry".

If you get a read-only error on grub.cfg, then either use vi or nano, or before running gedit first run:
    sudo chmod +w /mountpoint/boot/grub/grub.cfg
    Note: if you install kernel updates, new kernels, remove kernels, run update-grub etc. you'll have to reapply the workaround as grub.cfg is regenerated automatically. It's easier to do this before you reboot (or you'll have to use the live CD again).

PERMANENT MANUAL FIX:
    I am working on completing testing for this but so far it works on 10.04.1 and 10.10 which all are affected by the same issue. http://ubuntuforums.org/showpost.php...0&postcount=78
    You still need to boot the wubi before applying the permanent fix.

So it turns out I tried the first fix, and it didn't work. And I tried the second fix, and I don't have a grub.cfg in the location specified, just a grubenv file. Any ideas?

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Quote Originally Posted by BattlePope View Post
    So it turns out I tried the first fix, and it didn't work. And I tried the second fix, and I don't have a grub.cfg in the location specified, just a grubenv file. Any ideas?
    I'll assume you are using Wubi within Windows.

If you need to create a grub.cfg file, it's possible you are also missing other files as well (or not). In any case, you can use the 'chroot' procedure in the following link to make sure Grub2 is properly installed. Make sure you use the "Wubi" section in Step 1.
    HOWTO: Purge and Reinstall Grub 2 from the Live CD

It's possible all you need to do is recreate the grub.cfg file. If you want to try a less intrusive solution, accomplish steps 1 & 2, then run "update-grub" and it should generate the grub.cfg file. You can then skip steps 3-4 and then complete it with 6 - 8. If this doesn't work, run all the steps, which includes purging and reinstalling Grub2.
    Last edited by drs305; January 1st, 2011 at 12:35 PM.
    GRUB2

Retired.

Beans

Hello everyone,
    Recently purchased Acer aspire 4738z laptop with pentium p6100 processor,3 gb RAM , Intel Graphics Media Accelerator HD (Intel GMA).
    I installed 32bit version of ubuntu 10.10 and it worked fine. I downloaded 64bit version and installed on top of the 32version by CD. It installed properly and instructed to restart. After restarting lots of commands come in and end as
    ubuntu 10.10 username-Aspire-4738z tty1
    username-Aspire-4738z login-
    I log in my username and password then another sets of lines appear and end as
    usename@username-aspire 4738z:$-
    At this point i dont know what to do.the familiar desktop does not come.I switch off the laptop. I searched the net and tried typing
    startx that takes me to a black screen.
    alt+ctrol+f7 that takes me to a black screen with a cursor blinking
    i typed apt-get install ubuntu (dont exactly remember ) the message comes as 'you have latest version of ubuntu'

Please suggest a solution, i have no experience of linux. I hope this was the right place to post.
    Thanks.
    anand

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Edubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Quote Originally Posted by BattlePope View Post
    What partition is your wubi install on?
    When you try and boot do you get a grub prompt (not a rescue prompt?)

Edit: I see I am 8 hours late coming to the table. Did you get it sorted out already?
    Last edited by bcbc; January 1st, 2011 at 09:05 PM.

Beans

no more problems, i installed linux mint julia. it works fine.
    bye
    anand

Beans

I have the same problem mentioned by anand1.. plz help...

Page 11 of 29 FirstFirst ... 91011121321 ... LastLast