Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Ubuntu On my hardware (AND-Athlon-64)

Beans

Re: Ubuntu On my hardware (AND-Athlon-64)

Quote Originally Posted by PresenceofMind View Post
    Have you had any issues with your current setup whilst running Ubuntu/Windows? If not then a Linux-only machine is a good option...

And if you are going 64-bit, a minimum 4GB RAM upgrade will be more healthy for your system. 64-bit OS and 64-bit software consumes more system resources especially the RAM.

If you wish to run a standalone Ubuntu system with 2GB RAM then a 32-bit OS will run just fine.

Well, I might just be an old codger, but I've been running an Athlon 64 with the 64 bit Ubuntu for 2 years, with just 500 MB ( .5 GB) of RAM, and it runs just super. Of course, I'd like more RAM, but I get by. The only performance hit is when I'm runing intensive apps like torrent downloads, then it does take a bit to get other apps running, or to switch from app to app. But I don't get any crashes, a testimony to Linux I guess ....

Beans

@ esunday- I normally take linux crashing as a sign that the hardware is sick.

Quote Originally Posted by PresenceofMind View Post
    Excuse my ranting....
    If that is 'ranting' you are much nicer, or calmer, or both, than I am.

Quote Originally Posted by OperatorA View Post
    SO some of you say with an AMD-Athlon-64 and 2MB of RAM I SHOULD load 64byte Ubuntu and some say NOT.
    Ywah, well, that is what can happen. There isn't always a 'correct' answer with things like 32bit vs 64bit. Good luck with your 32bit OS, I hope you enjoy, and hopefully somebody drops a nice big bundle of money on your lap.

Beans

I'd say do it, then you're taking best advantage of the processor at least.

And like I said, I'm doing fine on 500 MB of RAM. I multitask all over, and no problems

Beans

Well with an AMD-Athlon-64(3200) and 2MB of RAM this old box on Ubuntu-Linux should do just fine.

Next time I work some overtime I will buy a 16MB thumb drive to backup the "My Documents" folder to and start playing with both a full-install of 32-bit, then 64-bit, maybe do a dual boot with Ubuntu and another flavor of Linux. (is that possible?)

I am definitely over Microsoft. I can't afford a new "Apple" and Ubuntu gives me an alternative to Microsoft.

Personally I have been in Mainframe Computers (IBM big-iron)from 1974 to 1999

I've had a PC of one form or another since MS-Dos 6.22 / Win-3.11 days. My 1st computer was a Salvation Army Thrift Store special...IBM PS/2-50. i-286 and a 10MB hard drive - monochrome monitor, came with DOS.3 which I upgraded to DOS.6-22.

Had MS-DOS 6.22/Win3.11, Win-95(OSR-1&2), Win-98(OSR-2), Win-Me, Win-XP(SPs 1-3).

Ubuntu is just another delicious flavor in the OS world for me and not a scary one! I LIKE IT!...you Forum people are all so informative and quick to answer my questions...thank you one and all!

Yours in computing
    Larry

Quote Originally Posted by cascade9 View Post
    @ esunday- I normally take linux crashing as a sign that the hardware is sick.

If that is 'ranting' you are much nicer, or calmer, or both, than I am.

Ywah, well, that is what can happen. There isn't always a 'correct' answer with things like 32bit vs 64bit. Good luck with your 32bit OS, I hope you enjoy, and hopefully somebody drops a nice big bundle of money on your lap.
    Thank you Linus (Linux)...you brought my PC back to life!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12