Thread: KuBuntu after or on top of Ubuntu

Beans

Question KuBuntu after or on top of Ubuntu

Here we go folks. I just dual booted a Windows-XP system with Ubuntu. Unbeknownst to me my neighbor Ordered a set of disks from Ubuntu as he has a 5 year old computer like I do. He just received a package with Ubuntu 10.4 LTS, Kubuntu 10.4 LTS, and Ubuntu 10.4 Server Edition. He is using the Ubuntu 10.4 LTS and gave me the Kubuntu 10.4 LTS version.

1.) Can I install it along side Win XP and Ubuntu, or on top of Ubuntu like in a "Windows upgrade".

2.) Do I have to uninstall Ubuntu (and how do I do it) to install Kubuntu.

3.) Do I have to do a complete wipe and reinstall Windows, and then Kubuntu?

I like the look of Kubuntu better then Ubuntu, and would rather use it instead of Ubuntu.

All advice will be greatly appreciated.

Larry Henry
    Scottsburg, Indiana, USA.
    Thank you Linus (Linux)...you brought my PC back to life!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Re: KuBuntu after or on top of Ubuntu

Ubuntu and Kubuntu are just desktops you can have both in the same OS. You would just choose which one at login that you wanted. You will also see some of programs in each desktop in the other, that would not be there on a single install, but are generally cross compatible.

Here is a link for removing and installing full desktops.
    Look to the bottom left corner in the panel for playing around. Make sure that if you use this that you are choosing the distro your running.
    http://psychocats.net/ubuntu/index.php

Not sure if this answers your question. To know if you can add more partitions post the output of this from the terminal.
    Code: sudo fdisk -l

Beans

Smile Re: KuBuntu after or on top of Ubuntu

Thanks Wil...that did answer my question...if I decide to kill Windows and do a total install of Linux, then I'll just install Kubuntu 10.4. Thanks you for your prompt reply. Y'all are much more helpful then any Windows forum I ever visited...
    Larry (<Mainframe Computer> OperatorA)

Beans

Thumbs up Re: KuBuntu after or on top of Ubuntu

If I had known Ku/Ubuntu Linux was this convenient, I would have installed it a long time ago...
    I am my family's computer "help desk" so to keep my mind in it (Windows)I have to keep a Dual-Boot Win-XP/Linux.
    I'll be mostly using Linux from now on...will try to "convert" my family and friends...

Blessings on Ya'all...I love this forum.

Larry "Take a walk into the light! Get Linux!"

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Re: KuBuntu after or on top of Ubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by OperatorA View Post
    If I had known Ku/Ubuntu Linux was this convenient, I would have installed it a long time ago...
    I am my family's computer "help desk" so to keep my mind in it (Windows)I have to keep a Dual-Boot Win-XP/Linux.
    I'll be mostly using Linux from now on...will try to "convert" my family and friends...

Blessings on Ya'all...I love this forum.

Larry "Take a walk into the light! Get Linux!"
    I started on open source and have windows just for helping those that have it, friends, forum, the usual suspects. sounds like you have the skills so carry on.

Lots of people with a wide variety of skills in all kinds of areas on a forum this large. If a person posts correctly=enough pertinent information with a good title and have some even basic skills things get done pretty quickly really.