Thread: Need to change graphics driver but need a plan

Beans

Need to change graphics driver but need a plan

I have recognized that I need to upgrade by graphics hardware driver. I have installed Jaunty on my Dell Laptop Latitude D620 and it's running very hot & loud. I had the same problem for the past three months with Karmic. The problem that I ran into though was that when I had Karmic I tried to install a better driver and then when I went to reboot I could not see the screen. The screen was broken into four sections and so blurry that I couldn't do anything and I had to reinstall. I happened to have an old Jaunty cd so I reinstalled that. Now I want to attempt to get the restricted driver or the best driver to use for this laptop. However I need to know what to do in case the screen goes unrecognizable again. Is their a way that I can boot and then enter a terminal command from boot? And then what command do I use to get back to where I was previously so I can at least see the screen. Please advise? Thanks, Rich H

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 22.04 Jammy Jellyfish

Re: Need to change graphics driver but need a plan

You might want to post details of your graphics card so that people can advise you better.

If you don't know that and you can still get into a GUI, open a terminal and post the output of:

Code:
    lspci | grep -i vga
    Ubuntu 20.04 Desktop Guide - Ubuntu 22.04 Desktop Guide - Forum Guide to BBCode - Using BBCode code tags

Member: Not Canonical Team

If you need help with your forum account, such as SSO login issues, username changes, etc, the correct place to contact an admin is here. Please do not PM me about these matters unless you have been asked to - unsolicited PMs concerning forum accounts will be ignored.

Beans

Good idea Coffeecat- Here's what it shows:

richard@richard-laptop:~$ lspci | grep -i vga
    00:02.0 VGA compatible controller: Intel Corporation Mobile 945GM/GMS, 943/940GML Express Integrated Graphics Controller (rev 03)
    richard@richard-laptop:~$

Beans

My daughter has that same machine. The open source driver installed out of the box in Lucid works fine on it.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 22.04 Jammy Jellyfish

What was the "better" driver that you tried to install? As waynefoutz says, the Intel driver that comes in the box works fine with the 945 chipset. There was a probem with the intel driver and some intel cards with Karmic, but I don't think it affected the 945. I have that chipset on an older laptop and if I remember correctly Karmic was fine. I don't use it now so I'm not sure which was the last version I ran on it.

Anyway, there is no restricted driver for intel cards as far as I am aware. Intel themselves produce the open source driver that comes as default in an Ubuntu installation. The running hot and the screen artifacts suggest the possibility of a hardware problem. Do you have Windows on that machine as well, or just Ubuntu? If Windows, is the display OK when running Windows?
    Ubuntu 20.04 Desktop Guide - Ubuntu 22.04 Desktop Guide - Forum Guide to BBCode - Using BBCode code tags

Member: Not Canonical Team

If you need help with your forum account, such as SSO login issues, username changes, etc, the correct place to contact an admin is here. Please do not PM me about these matters unless you have been asked to - unsolicited PMs concerning forum accounts will be ignored.