Thread: Can't run 64bit guest OS in VirtualBox.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.10 Oneiric Ocelot

Can't run 64bit guest OS in VirtualBox.

Hi all. I have a strange problem that I will try to explain clearly. I hope someone out there has an answer.

I have a desktop that runs 2 host OSs. Ubuntu 10.04 32bit on one partition and Windows 7 32bit on the other. In Windows I can install a 64bit guest OS in virtualbox with no problem. However, in Ubuntu I cannot install a 64bit guest OS. I get this error:

VT-x/AMD-V hardware acceleration has been enabled, but is not operational. Your 64-bit guest will fail to detect a 64-bit CPU and will not be able to boot.

Please ensure that you have enabled VT-x/AMD-V properly in the BIOS of your host computer.

I have checked the BIOS and see no options relating to visualization. But I know the BIOS is fine because everything works in Windows. To make matters worse this isn't really an Ubuntu problem as I can install 64bit guest OSs on my MacBook Pro which is running Ubuntu 10.04 32bit as the host OS.

So why do I have this problem only on Ubuntu on my desktop? how can I fix it? Would it make a difference if the host OS was 64bit?

here is the output of egrep '(vmx|svm)' --color=always /proc/cpuinfo on my desktop

flags : fpu vme de pse tsc msr pae mce cx8 apic sep mtrr pge mca cmov pat pse36 clflush mmx fxsr sse sse2 ht syscall nx mmxext fxsr_opt pdpe1gb rdtscp lm 3dnowext 3dnow constant_tsc nonstop_tsc extd_apicid pni monitor cx16 popcnt lahf_lm cmp_legacy svm extapic cr8_legacy abm sse4a misalignsse 3dnowprefetch osvw ibs skinit wdt
    flags : fpu vme de pse tsc msr pae mce cx8 apic sep mtrr pge mca cmov pat pse36 clflush mmx fxsr sse sse2 ht syscall nx mmxext fxsr_opt pdpe1gb rdtscp lm 3dnowext 3dnow constant_tsc nonstop_tsc extd_apicid pni monitor cx16 popcnt lahf_lm cmp_legacy svm extapic cr8_legacy abm sse4a misalignsse 3dnowprefetch osvw ibs skinit wdt

By my understanding if "svm" shows in this output everything should work.

any help would be appreciated.

Thank You.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Re: Can't run 64bit guest OS in VirtualBox.

maybe your CPU does not support VT, I hit that prob trying to run 64bit guests

Beans
    Distro

Hey man. Thanks for the quick reply. That was my first thought too. However, Windows (which is running on the same processor - different partition) runs 64bit guest OSs just fine. So I assume the processor supports VT. Or is it because Windows has software emulation or something? I have an AMD Athlon(tm) II X4 620 Processor how can I tell if that processor actually supports VT?

Thanks

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

not sure with AMD -- I know intel has whats called Virtualisation Technology

This AMD page says something about AMD Virtualization

http://www.overclockersclub.com/revi...lon2_620/2.htm

Beans
    Distro

Yes, I see. Also AMD's official site list visualization as a feature of this processor...

http://products.amd.com/en-na/Deskto...il.aspx?id=597

yet when I run the amdvhyperv.exe (in windows of course) downloaded from AMD, it says, "This utility detected that AMD Visualization (AMD-V) Technology is not enabled in BIOS. Enable AMD-V in Bios. Re-run this utility to further verify your system is compatible with Hyper-V."

So if visualization is supported but disabled and there is no option to enable in in the BIOS then I would assume the problem lies with the MB. But this does not answer why everything works on Windows. If AMD-V is not enabled VirtualBox should not be able to run 64bit guest OSs on a Windows host anymore then it can on Ubuntu.

So can I get this working in Ubuntu? and if not.. What is different about the technology that allows Windows to run 64bit guests while Linux cannot?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

try update the bios -- most come with a utility that runs in windows and updates it auto

Beans

I dunno if this would make any difference -- I'm not particularly knowledgeable about VMs or their inner workings -- but is the Windows installation 64-bit? I'd expect a 64-bit OS to be able to run both 64-bit and 32-bit VMs, but I'd expect a 32-bit OS to only be able to run 32-bit VMs.
    http://xkcd.com/293/
    There are 10 kinds of people in this world: Those who understand ternary, those who don't, and those who confuse it with binary.

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by SlugSlug View Post
    try update the bios -- most come with a utility that runs in windows and updates it auto
    I checked and the BIOS is the most recent release. I had updated some time ago. I can't remember why but I'm sure there was a good reason

I dunno if this would make any difference -- I'm not particularly knowledgeable about VMs or their inner workings -- but is the Windows installation 64-bit? I'd expect a 64-bit OS to be able to run both 64-bit and 32-bit VMs, but I'd expect a 32-bit OS to only be able to run 32-bit VMs.
    I thought of that too. I couldn't remember if I installed 64 or 32 bit Windows. A quick check showed that the Windows 7 install is 32bit. So 32bit hosts can run 64bit guests but is that what the visualization is for? Is AMD-V needed when running a 64bit guest on 64bit host?

Beans
    Distro

OK. I've installed ubuntu 10.10 RC 64bit on my laptop and all works fine. it seems you can only run a 64 bit guest on a 64bit Linux host.