Thread: apache 403 on encrypted home dir in 10.10 maverick meerkat

Threaded View

apache 403 on encrypted home dir in 10.10 maverick meerkat

I just installed 10.10 maverick meerkat with an encrypted home dir. I'm having the same problem as ChrisEffel in this thread: and jmblock2 in this thread: their solutions don't work for me.

Basically, I downloaded a fresh install of apache and went through the steps of installing a virtual host as per, the ubuntu ApacheMySQLPHP guide. I followed the steps carefully. When I browse to http://localhost/ at the end of the steps I get 403 Forbidden, and
    tail -n 1 /var/log/apache2/error.log
    [error] [client] (13)Permission denied: access to /favicon.ico denied
    , which reflects what's really going on here - no amount of chmodding is giving apache access to files in the home dir.

I thought maybe this was an encrypted home drive issue, as per this bug report in 10.04: but his solution, which is also ChrisEffel's solution in the thread mentioned above,
    chmod o+x $HOME
    , does nothing for me. i've also
    chmod 0755 public_html
    , and ~/public_html/index.html is also chmod 0755'd.

This is driving me crazy because I had it set up just fine (without home disk encryption) under 9.10 just a week ago ... any of you apache gurus have any tips?

jmblock2 said in that "parent directory of www also needed to be set to www-data" which, since I've followed (the ubuntu ApacheMySQLPHP guide) would be the parent directory of ~/public_html, namely, my home dir. do I really want to set my home dir, /home/`whoami`/, to www-data? how would I do that, anyway, with chgrp? seems sketchy.
    Last edited by tacitdynamite; September 20th, 2010 at 08:58 AM.