Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: FGLRX failing at DKMS

Beans

Re: FGLRX failing at DKMS

Quote Originally Posted by alphacrucis2 View Post
    AMD have issued a hot fix for Catalyst 10.9 to address this problem. Read here:

ATI Catalyst™ Linux Driver broken after Linux kernel security update
    The information provided did not solve my problem.

Can anyone that for who this works to explain in more details how exactlly insttal and configure this patch. Maybe I make something wrong

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by alphacrucis2 View Post
    AMD have issued a hot fix for Catalyst 10.9 to address this problem. Read here:

ATI Catalyst™ Linux Driver broken after Linux kernel security update
    How this working and for me. I remove from /usr/src/linux-headers-2.6.32-25-generic/arch/x86/include/asm/compat.h

static inline void __user *compat_alloc_user_space(unsigned long len)
    {
    struct pt_regs *regs = task_pt_regs(current);
    return (void __user *)regs->sp - len;
    }
    For more information about this lines read previues posts in this topic.

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by The J View Post
    I've been having these same problems with the 2.26.32-xx-Generic kernels on Kubuntu 10.04 64-bit and I was just now able to get the fglrx module to build without having to downgrade kernels.

Here's what I did. Chances are some kernel developer will start yelling at me for doing this, but oh well.

As root, open up the file /usr/src/linux-headers-2.6.32-24-generic/arch/x86/include/asm/compat.h in a text editor, inserting your version of the kernel in place of mine. That directory should be correct for both 32-bit and 64-bit systems. Go to the very botton of the file; you'll see

Code:
    #endif /* _ASM_X86_COMPAT_H */

Between that line and the curly brace ( } ) two lines above it, paste in the following:

Code:
    static inline void __user *compat_alloc_user_space(unsigned long len)
    {
    	struct pt_regs *regs = task_pt_regs(current);
    	return (void __user *)regs->sp - len;
    }

(It isn't really necessary that the function go exactly where I said to put it, but this will make sure that you don't accidentally paste it into another function or something like that.)

Now save the file and try reinstalling the fglrx drivers. My xorg.conf file was messed up and causing problems for me, so check that before you restart X. With any luck, you should now be rolling in fglrx goodness!

I don't think that will hurt anything, but you can remove your changes to that file after you build the module if you want.

You may have noticed that the function I had you paste in looks very similar to another function in there called 'arch_compat_alloc_user_space'. As far as I can tell, they are exactly the same except for the name and parameter type (unsigned long). It appears that 'compat_alloc_user_space' was renamed to 'arch_compat_alloc_user_space' for just this version of the kernel, so really we just put the old one back for the ATI module builder to use. This shouldn't hurt anything since the contents of the two functions are identical.
    I did that and the drivers started working. Thanks! You are awesome.
    Keyboard not found!

Press any key to continue...

Beans

Talking Re: FGLRX failing at DKMS

Thank you 'The J', your solution worked for me as well.

Kernel release: 2.6.32-25-generic
    Catalyst 10.10 (ati-driver-installer-10-10-x86.x86_64.run)

By the way after installation I saw this reply from 'alphacrucis2':
    " AMD have issued a hot fix for Catalyst 10.9 to address this problem...
    ATI Catalyst™ Linux Driver broken after Linux kernel security update ".

Three people have so far replied to the above post, two say it has solved their problem and one says it hasn't. Is this hot fix related to this issue? Description talks about "reduced performance" and "system crashes on boot up" which are not exactly what this thread is about.

Any way, thanks again for your genuine solution.

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 10.10 Maverick Meerkat

Catalyst 10.10 fixes the problem. The DKMS/kernel fix applies to Catalyst 10.9. This should no longer be an issue.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by jdalt View Post
    Catalyst 10.10 fixes the problem. The DKMS/kernel fix applies to Catalyst 10.9. This should no longer be an issue.

Thank you. Yes it does. I don't know what I did wrong previously, but I did a fresh install of the driver and can confirm that Catalyst 10.10 works without any problems. My kernel: 2.6.32-25-generic

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123