Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: FGLRX failing at DKMS

Beans

Smile Re: FGLRX failing at DKMS

I post a solution here. But I was completely wrong. So please ignore this.
    Last edited by mambazo; September 23rd, 2010 at 07:33 AM. Reason: I posted a wrong solution

Beans

Re: FGLRX failing at DKMS

I can verify that this works!

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by The J View Post
    I've been having these same problems with the 2.26.32-xx-Generic kernels on Kubuntu 10.04 64-bit and I was just now able to get the fglrx module to build without having to downgrade kernels.

Here's what I did. Chances are some kernel developer will start yelling at me for doing this, but oh well.

As root, open up the file /usr/src/linux-headers-2.6.32-24-generic/arch/x86/include/asm/compat.h in a text editor, inserting your version of the kernel in place of mine. That directory should be correct for both 32-bit and 64-bit systems. Go to the very botton of the file; you'll see

Code:
    #endif /* _ASM_X86_COMPAT_H */

Between that line and the curly brace ( } ) two lines above it, paste in the following:

Code:
    static inline void __user *compat_alloc_user_space(unsigned long len)
    {
    	struct pt_regs *regs = task_pt_regs(current);
    	return (void __user *)regs->sp - len;
    }

(It isn't really necessary that the function go exactly where I said to put it, but this will make sure that you don't accidentally paste it into another function or something like that.)

Now save the file and try reinstalling the fglrx drivers. My xorg.conf file was messed up and causing problems for me, so check that before you restart X. With any luck, you should now be rolling in fglrx goodness!

I don't think that will hurt anything, but you can remove your changes to that file after you build the module if you want.

You may have noticed that the function I had you paste in looks very similar to another function in there called 'arch_compat_alloc_user_space'. As far as I can tell, they are exactly the same except for the name and parameter type (unsigned long). It appears that 'compat_alloc_user_space' was renamed to 'arch_compat_alloc_user_space' for just this version of the kernel, so really we just put the old one back for the ATI module builder to use. This shouldn't hurt anything since the contents of the two functions are identical.
    yes thx ... your solution works fine ... ubuntu 10.04.1 amd64 linux-image-2.6.35-22-generic

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by The J View Post
    I've been having these same problems with the 2.26.32-xx-Generic kernels on Kubuntu 10.04 64-bit and I was just now able to get the fglrx module to build without having to downgrade kernels.

Here's what I did. Chances are some kernel developer will start yelling at me for doing this, but oh well.

As root, open up the file /usr/src/linux-headers-2.6.32-24-generic/arch/x86/include/asm/compat.h in a text editor, inserting your version of the kernel in place of mine. That directory should be correct for both 32-bit and 64-bit systems. Go to the very botton of the file; you'll see

Code:
    #endif /* _ASM_X86_COMPAT_H */

Between that line and the curly brace ( } ) two lines above it, paste in the following:

Code:
    static inline void __user *compat_alloc_user_space(unsigned long len)
    {
    	struct pt_regs *regs = task_pt_regs(current);
    	return (void __user *)regs->sp - len;
    }

(It isn't really necessary that the function go exactly where I said to put it, but this will make sure that you don't accidentally paste it into another function or something like that.)

Now save the file and try reinstalling the fglrx drivers. My xorg.conf file was messed up and causing problems for me, so check that before you restart X. With any luck, you should now be rolling in fglrx goodness!

I don't think that will hurt anything, but you can remove your changes to that file after you build the module if you want.

You may have noticed that the function I had you paste in looks very similar to another function in there called 'arch_compat_alloc_user_space'. As far as I can tell, they are exactly the same except for the name and parameter type (unsigned long). It appears that 'compat_alloc_user_space' was renamed to 'arch_compat_alloc_user_space' for just this version of the kernel, so really we just put the old one back for the ATI module builder to use. This shouldn't hurt anything since the contents of the two functions are identical.
    I am also confirming that this works, in my case with Catalyst 10.9 and 2.6.32-25-generic kernel.

But, if you first encounter problems with libGL.so.1.2 segfaulting, remove /etc/X11/xorg.conf and regenerate it with aticonfig --initial, and reboot afterwards. It should work fine then.

Thanks, The J.
    -- It's all GNU to me --

Beans

You can also add a patch to dkms.

Just create a new patch file named fglrx-2.6.32-24.patch (e.g.) in /usr/src/fglrx-<your fglrx version>/patches/ with the following code:

Code:
    --- a/kcl_ioctl.c.orig
    +++ b/kcl_ioctl.c
    @@ -193,7 +193,7 @@ void ATI_API_CALL KCL_IOCTL_UnregisterConversion32(unsigned int cmd)
      */
     void* ATI_API_CALL KCL_IOCTL_AllocUserSpace32(long size)
     {
    -    return compat_alloc_user_space(size);
    +    return arch_compat_alloc_user_space(size);
     }

#endif // __x86_64__
    Then edit the file dkms.conf in /usr/src/fglrx-<your fglrx-version>/ and add these two lines:

Code:
    PATCH[2]="fglrx-2.6.32-24.patch"
    PATCH_MATCH[2]="^2.6.32\-(2[4-9]+|[3-9][0-9]+)\-generic$"
    (Be sure to use the correct file name for your patch) If PATCH[2] is already defined, just choose the next free integer for the array index.

This way, you don't have to touch the kernel sources.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

I'd like to confirm that The J's solution worked for me as well. Thanks for the fix. Hopefully ATI has this straightened out for the next release.

Beans

I'm with Kubuntu lucid kernel 2.6.32-25-generic #44-Ubuntu and ATI Radeon HD 4330.

lspci

00:00.0 Host bridge: Intel Corporation Mobile 4 Series Chipset Memory Controller Hub (rev 07)
    00:01.0 PCI bridge: Intel Corporation Mobile 4 Series Chipset PCI Express Graphics Port (rev 07)
    00:1a.0 USB Controller: Intel Corporation 82801I (ICH9 Family) USB UHCI Controller #4 (rev 03)
    00:1a.1 USB Controller: Intel Corporation 82801I (ICH9 Family) USB UHCI Controller #5 (rev 03)
    00:1a.7 USB Controller: Intel Corporation 82801I (ICH9 Family) USB2 EHCI Controller #2 (rev 03)
    00:1b.0 Audio device: Intel Corporation 82801I (ICH9 Family) HD Audio Controller (rev 03)
    00:1c.0 PCI bridge: Intel Corporation 82801I (ICH9 Family) PCI Express Port 1 (rev 03)
    00:1c.1 PCI bridge: Intel Corporation 82801I (ICH9 Family) PCI Express Port 2 (rev 03)
    00:1d.0 USB Controller: Intel Corporation 82801I (ICH9 Family) USB UHCI Controller #1 (rev 03)
    00:1d.1 USB Controller: Intel Corporation 82801I (ICH9 Family) USB UHCI Controller #2 (rev 03)
    00:1d.2 USB Controller: Intel Corporation 82801I (ICH9 Family) USB UHCI Controller #3 (rev 03)
    00:1d.3 USB Controller: Intel Corporation 82801I (ICH9 Family) USB UHCI Controller #6 (rev 03)
    00:1d.7 USB Controller: Intel Corporation 82801I (ICH9 Family) USB2 EHCI Controller #1 (rev 03)
    00:1e.0 PCI bridge: Intel Corporation 82801 Mobile PCI Bridge (rev 93)
    00:1f.0 ISA bridge: Intel Corporation ICH9M-E LPC Interface Controller (rev 03)
    00:1f.2 SATA controller: Intel Corporation ICH9M/M-E SATA AHCI Controller (rev 03)
    00:1f.3 SMBus: Intel Corporation 82801I (ICH9 Family) SMBus Controller (rev 03)
    00:1f.6 Signal processing controller: Intel Corporation 82801I (ICH9 Family) Thermal Subsystem (rev 03)
    01:00.0 VGA compatible controller: ATI Technologies Inc M92 LP [Mobility Radeon HD 4300 Series]
    01:00.1 Audio device: ATI Technologies Inc RV710/730
    02:00.0 Ethernet controller: Atheros Communications AR8131 Gigabit Ethernet (rev c0)
    03:00.0 Network controller: Intel Corporation WiFi Link 1000 Series
    cat /usr/share/ati/fglrx-install.log
    Errors during DKMS module removal
    Errors during DKMS module removal

Creating symlink /var/lib/dkms/fglrx/8.723/source ->
    /usr/src/fglrx-8.723

DKMS: add Completed.

Kernel preparation unnecessary for this kernel. Skipping...

Building module:
    cleaning build area....
    cd /var/lib/dkms/fglrx/8.723/build; sh make.sh --nohints --uname_r=2.6.32-24-generic --norootcheck......(bad exit status: 1)
    [Error] Kernel Module : Failed to build fglrx-8.723 with DKMS
    [Error] Kernel Module : Removing fglrx-8.723 from DKMS

------------------------------
    Deleting module version: 8.723
    completely from the DKMS tree.
    ------------------------------
    Done.
    genko@abadon:~$ glxinfo
    name of display: :0.0
    X Error of failed request: BadRequest (invalid request code or no such operation)
    Major opcode of failed request: 136 (GLX)
    Minor opcode of failed request: 19 (X_GLXQueryServerString)
    Serial number of failed request: 15
    Current serial number in output stream: 15
    genko@abadon:~$ glxgears
    X Error of failed request: BadRequest (invalid request code or no such operation)
    Major opcode of failed request: 136 (GLX)
    Minor opcode of failed request: 19 (X_GLXQueryServerString)
    Serial number of failed request: 15
    Current serial number in output stream: 15
    genko@abadon:~$
    I try and this:

Got the same problem, and spent an hour trying to fix things. The only solution I found was to downgrade kernel to 2.6.32-21 (by removing all other linux-image packages) and manually install Ati Catalyst. But only Catalyst 10.7 worked, 10.8 and 10.9 could not be installed (the same/similar DKMS error).
    but without success. Any ideas?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

AMD have issued a hot fix for Catalyst 10.9 to address this problem. Read here:

ATI Catalyst™ Linux Driver broken after Linux kernel security update

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.10 Oneiric Ocelot

Quote Originally Posted by alphacrucis2 View Post
    AMD have issued a hot fix for Catalyst 10.9 to address this problem. Read here:

ATI Catalyst™ Linux Driver broken after Linux kernel security update
    thanks! that fixed everything!
    Nick Humphrey
    Download my experimental music for free.
    Help me improve my phrasebook of world languages.

Beans

the hotfix works for me too...
    thanks!

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast