Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Canonical to cease Ubuntu development in 3-5 years time.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Mate 18.04 Bionic Beaver

Canonical to cease Ubuntu development in 3-5 years time.

Ubunteros,

Can anyone comment on the following found at:

http://www.guardian.co.uk/technology...ntu-linux-loss

Ubuntu Linux is still a licence to lose money

Multimillionaire Mark Shuttleworth says "Canonical is not cash-flow positive" but he's happy to keep funding it for another three to five years

Linux has always been a financial disaster on the desktop, and as Mark Shuttleworth -- the multimillionaire space tourist who bankrolls Ubuntu -- says in a conference call: "I don't think it will possible to make a lot of money, or maybe any money, selling the desktop."

However, he is going to keep financing the operation for a while. He says, in CNet's report:

"I have no objection to funding the business for another three to five years. I certainly have the patience to see us through any downturn. I think this downturn is going to be very good for Canonical... Canonical is not cash-flow positive, but our offering is very effective for those who want to pinch their pennies."

Unfortunately, Ubuntu's main chance on the desktop has already come and gone. It would have been great if it had become the standard on netbooks. However, almost all the netbook manufacturers want to be able to tweak their adopted Linux and/or add their own software. Linux is now in decline on netbooks, and it looks as though it will never offer the same kind of comfortable, compatible cross-hardware platform as Windows. That kind of balkanisation, of course, ultimately destroyed Unix.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

Re: Canonical to cease Ubuntu development in 3-5 years time.

ubuntu is kinda no.1 linux out thre on the web , bringing it down is kinda tough, even with the development is ceased the community might keep it up.

Beans
    Distro

Sure it's number 1 !!!!!! Couldn't agree with you more !!!! But the bills have been graciously paid by a man with a great dream....

Sooner or later profit needs to be generated.....

Also, can the community maintain support on a product that may have propriety legal issues?

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by suomalainen View Post
    Ubunteros,

Can anyone comment on the following found at:

http://www.guardian.co.uk/technology...ntu-linux-loss

Ubuntu Linux is still a licence to lose money

Multimillionaire Mark Shuttleworth says "Canonical is not cash-flow positive" but he's happy to keep funding it for another three to five years

Linux has always been a financial disaster on the desktop, and as Mark Shuttleworth -- the multimillionaire space tourist who bankrolls Ubuntu -- says in a conference call: "I don't think it will possible to make a lot of money, or maybe any money, selling the desktop."

However, he is going to keep financing the operation for a while. He says, in CNet's report:

"I have no objection to funding the business for another three to five years. I certainly have the patience to see us through any downturn. I think this downturn is going to be very good for Canonical... Canonical is not cash-flow positive, but our offering is very effective for those who want to pinch their pennies."

Unfortunately, Ubuntu's main chance on the desktop has already come and gone. It would have been great if it had become the standard on netbooks. However, almost all the netbook manufacturers want to be able to tweak their adopted Linux and/or add their own software. Linux is now in decline on netbooks, and it looks as though it will never offer the same kind of comfortable, compatible cross-hardware platform as Windows. That kind of balkanisation, of course, ultimately destroyed Unix.

This article is over two years old. I've seen Mr Shuttleworth's youtube videos as of late, he seems more enthusiastic about the direction Ubuntu is going than ever.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 13.04 Raring Ringtail

man that would truly stink.
    just saddened by the thought of it. lol
    hope youre right wayne. <3

i honestly dont care to use anything but Ubuntu ever again. lol
    fo'reals. <3

it's so amazing i can only see it going further.
    Last edited by Rasa1111; September 19th, 2010 at 08:46 AM.
    5.5 GB's Free Ubuntu-One Cloud Storage~
    Click Here

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Gnome Development Release

It needs to move on. And it should. See my dream in my signature.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Quote Originally Posted by waynefoutz View Post
    This article is over two years old.
    But I'm sure "Canonical is not cash-flow positive" is still true.
    The Power User’s Guide to Unity
    Questions about Ubuntu? Ask them at askubuntu.com!

Beans
    Distro

MacUntu, Your absolutely right! Which also means we are now 1 year from year 3!!!!!

Any statements coming from Canonical that anyone can share?

Is the ship sinking?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.04 Natty Narwhal

Oh crap, does that include launchpad? If launchpad dies, we're screwed. XD

But yeah, I wonder what exactly Canonical does finance? And I wonder if he's talking about himself PERSONALLY funding it, or all funding altogether? Something tells me it's far more likely someone else will buy Canonical than Canonical disappearing.

Let's just hope it isn't Oracle. ^,~

Beans
    Distro

No it won't be Oracle but maybe Nokia. This would be a good choice to offer as per their Linux based products.

Also, Nokia new CEO is from Microsoft so if Nokia could cover this broad range of products, software and tackle compatibility issues they just may very well go places...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast