Thread: basic256

Beans

basic256

I installed basic 256 and started to use it. typed in say "hello" and nothing. I am not sure that it installed correctly. help I would like to learn. thanks

Beans

Unhappy Re: basic256

Quote Originally Posted by xdweaver View Post
    I installed basic 256 and started to use it. typed in say "hello" and nothing. I am not sure that it installed correctly. help I would like to learn. thanks
    I'm having a similar issue: I'm getting a syntax error every time I try using the "say" command. It appears to parse the actual "say" command, but for instance if I put what i want it to say on the next line, it says the syntax error is on the next line. I've tried numbers without quotes, which is supposed to cause it to pronounce the numbers, and strings with double quotes, per the documentation, as well as no quotes, single quotes, more than one space after the "say" command, etc, but only get a syntax error.

I checked, and have both the FLite and eSpeak libraries installed.

Beans

Re: basic256

OK, I haven't tried this yet, but the authors of BASIC-256 have a forum on FaceBook, and they say that the Synaptic Package Manager in Ubuntu installs an old version of BASIC-256, which causes, among other things, this sort of problem.
    they suggest getting it from SourceForge.net, and updating it from there.
    Link to their FaceBook Site:
    http://www.facebook.com/pages/BASIC-256/143081275705864