Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Which Internet Security?

Beans

Which Internet Security?

Hi can anyone tell me what is the best Internet Security to use with Ubuntu? I mean I can't find any that are compatible with Ubuntu I like KIS for Windows but it won't work in Ubuntu so I looked on here and on their website but they don't seem to do anything for it... So any suggestions guys?

Thanks.

Beans

Re: Which Internet Security?

Yes, do nothing. Linux is not Windows.

Relax and enjoy your system.

Beans

Ooo, okay can I just ask so I can understand lol.

How do I know I have no Viruses Etc?

I know it's obvious you don't download stuff willynilly but I do use PayPal and stuff on here so I'd just like to know and understand about these things. You have all been very helpful so far.

Thanks.

Beans

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

As HermanAB already said, there is really no need for antivirus on Linux, much less the type of so-called security suites found in Windows.

However, if you are sharing files with Windows users you might want to consider using something.

See here for more information:
    https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Antivirus

You should be more concerned about securing your web browser. If you are using Firefox, I suggest the Mozilla addons NoScript and BetterPrivacy as a start.
    Last edited by Rubi1200; September 18th, 2010 at 06:26 PM.

Beans

Thanks

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Malicious code that is meant to run or install locally needs to be written specifically for whatever OS it's been designed to run on. It must then also get installed. As far as I know, there's not very much of that stuff designed to run on a Linux desktop, and consequently there are no tools for detecting such things. Stick to installing things from the official repositories, and if you must search out and use custom look and feel types of things (as we all must, from time to time), make sure that you only use folders in your home directory rather than dropping them into system directories, which requires privilege escalation. I know that some tutorials say you should put, for example, themes and icons in system folders, but that's really only necessary if you want them to be available to all users (and even that's unnecessary on a single-user system). Please note that the overwhelming majority of look and feel customizations are perfectly fine regardless of where they reside on the system. It's just good practice to not exceed what's necessary.

That leaves us with the browser, which would be the point of origin for malicious scripts that don't reside on the system, but that get rendered locally (in the same way that legitimate web content does). For that, there are browser add-ons (assuming that you're using Firefox). I'd recommend NoScript, BetterPrivacy, and AdBlock Plus. I would also suggest configuring the browser preferences to clear the private data when the browser is closed, and to at most allow cookies for the session, rather than permanently. All of these configurations will cause slight inconveniences while you're getting used to them, but they'll keep the ulcers at bay.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.04 Natty Narwhal

Take a look at ClamAV "Virus Scanner" in the software center. Also, I would get a Firefox addon that shows reports about the webpage, something like "link extend", even thought it tests for windows viruses it probably means you shouldn't be visiting the site!

Beans

Thanks everyone, you're all very helpful

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

To be honest, most of the link-checking and reputation tools aren't very reliable. The ones made by AV vendors might run some static analysis on the source code of pages when a subscriber submits them for review, but there's going to be a tremendous lag there given that content on the web (not to mention on a given site itself) is so dynamic. The rest of those tools rely on user reports, which in addition to meaning that users have to encounter them in the first place, also means that the information is only as reliable as those reporting it. Considering that so many people immediately leap from a page loading slowly to high malware alert status, that can cause panic where it isn't warranted when the little red dot shows up next to links.

Firefox already makes use of Google's safe browsing feature, so in the event that a site has been identified as dangerous, by default you won't be able to get to it without having to pass through a warning page. Again, that only helps in the event of known issues, but the chances of anything outside of your home directory's .mozilla folder being affected are slim on this OS even if a page turns out to have bad stuff on it.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast