Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: shuttle xs35 requires BIOS version 1.09 for wireless to work

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

shuttle xs35 requires BIOS version 1.09 for wireless to work

My little shuttle guy shipped with version 1.08, which only allows for proprietary control ("Control AP") in the BIOS settings.

The guy at shuttle sent me these tips:

"It doesn’t indicate if you have the latest BIOS installed. Please kindly follow this link to download the latest AMI BIOS from our website.
    http://global.shuttle.com/download03.jsp?PI=1423&PL=1 . After you have downloaded the zip file and extract it, you will find two folders – DOS and Win. What you can do is to create an USB DOS bootable flash drive http://bay-wolf.com/usbmemstick.htm , and put the content from the extracted BIOS files – DOS folder to your USB drive, boot up the computer using this USB drive and simply type flash to begin the automatic BIOS update process. I have an identical computer set up and with 109 BIOS, I am looking at the BIOS setup page and there is an option to choose from either Always on or Switch by AP."

Once you have 1.09, set it to always on, and then it just works on installation of 10.04, but suffers from the same wireless network speed issues others have been complaining about.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Re: shuttle xs35 requires BIOS version 1.09 for wireless to work

Disabling ipv6 seems to fix the slow wireless problem

http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.p...=slow+wireless

Following these instructions

http://www.webupd8.org/2010/05/how-t...untu-1004.html

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.10 Maverick Meerkat

Smile Re: shuttle xs35 requires BIOS version 1.09 for wireless to work

i'm sure 1.09 would fix this problem, but when i go to the link above, the only thing there is 1.08.

any chance you saved the file and can post it somewhere? i've been searching all around for about 30min and can't find it anywhere

---edit---
    well, this site is about as sketchy as it gets, but if you can navigate thru the 19 clicks needed to get to an actual download link (read carefully), it looks like they have 1.09. http://driversdownloaddriver.com/downloads.php

of course, i haven't installed it yet - maybe it will brick my system. you've been warned - use caution!

---edit #2---
    ok, i've confirmed that this works with the file i got from that link. i'm attaching the bios file i downloaded here (had to split it due to limits of the site) just so no one else has to ponder where to get it (or whether to click on those links).

[site only allows uploading of zip files, not z01 files, so rename the "split2" file to this: XS35_SHB.109_split.z01]

hope this helps - happy ubuntu-ing.
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Last edited by Schnitty; October 7th, 2010 at 11:48 PM. Reason: new information - fix confirmed

Beans

@Schnitty

Thanks for the uploads. I just picked up a XS35 to play with ZoneMinder and was having the same problems as everyone else with the Wireless.

I can verify that the BIOS images you posted worked... I used the DOS method to flash mine. I had a bit of trouble uncompressing your split file though. I ended up getting the DOS stuff out with WinRAR (I had to manually enter the name of the second file) but the 'WIN' directory was flagged as corrupted.

Beans

Cheers for providing the links to 1.09

Only thing I'm wondering is if there was a good reason they took it down from their site...
    Don't want it causing more problems!

Is this wireless problem just an issue with Ubuntu 10.10? Or with 10.04 as well?

I just tried the latest version 10.10 and am downloading 10.04 now but came across this thread.

Beans

Guys, I have the same Shuttle PC as the rest of you (xs35).

I am trying to use it as a low power fanless server.

I run Ubuntu Lucid 10.04 on it.

I have a hell of a time ensuring that it comes back after a power outage without needing to press a power button. This is standard behavior that I saw in every PC or server, except this one!

So far I tried:

1) Going through BIOS in search of a "boot on power restore" option
    2) Upgrading BIOS to 1.09 (it worked, but did no good)

3) Setting up Wake up on LAN. This is where I am really pissed. As far as I can tell, WOL only works if I reboot after setting a wake up on LAN bios setting. If I reboot, shut down, power down, etc after Linux ran, it does NOT work. Somehow WOL is disabled.

I did try to use ethtool to set WOL, to no avail.

My feeling is that the "jme" driver somehow disables WOL behavior and does not set it correctly.

Any idea, what can I do to ensure that this piece of equipment comes up automatically after a power outage?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Hey 'Yall,
    The bios update fixed the wireless switch problem for my xs35. I used slothtrop's direction with zip files attached to post #3. My only negative thought was that I had to use an old ******* box to unzip files without errors using IZArc, and also to create a boot usb flash drive with the update files. But once again GNU/Linux just simply works. Without this help my xs35 would have been almost useless. Thank you everyone. =D>

PS: this xs35 is a tester, to be used as a media appliance output to TV screen. I am using the box without a hdd or od. I am running 10.04-64b with only necessary packages on a 4G usb flash drive with 1GB internal memory and no swap partition. I load the applications on startup which take awhile, once loaded OS is fast enough, also let it sleep not shutdown. Media gets to xs35 box via wireless Internet and NFS from a desktop box as server.
    Last edited by mphatyonah; November 10th, 2010 at 09:05 PM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 17.04 Zesty Zapus

Unhappy Re: shuttle xs35 requires BIOS version 1.09 for wireless to work

I have the same problem and will try to fix using the BIOS files provided.

Btw, I found the following XBMC forum entry regarding the reason Shuttle has "unpublished" BIOS 1.09.

-- 30 mins --
    BIOS flashed, param set to "Always on", reboot but my Kubuntu installation is still not "seeing" the WiFi, so I am reinstalling Kubuntu 10.04.
    -- 5 mins --
    Yes, the install USB does see the WiFi! But I am detecting only my neighbors signal! Quite puzzling.
    -- X mins --
    No way, I am booting now with an external DVD/CD player and trying installation with CD, I could happen that my USB got some corruption due to persistence set to on, couldn't it!
    I shall try first Ubuntu Netbook 10.04 edition, it is booting great (only the whole 1680x1050 is not full used, I suppose Nvidia drivers will fix this).
    -- ... --
    Still my 2 networks and other networks are NOT seen except my closest neighbours. I am sitting near my to-be-replaced-box, which sees perfectly all of them! I wonder whether there is anything more to check/do.
    I am going to check the links about WiFi issues in K/Ubuntu, I did not have any in the last versions but I remember former odyseas to get things working...
    -- the day after --
    SOLVED I connected it by wire, updated all packages and all of a sudden WiFi connections magically appeared. I even upgraded to Maverick for a better result, now happy.
    Last edited by cblanquer; November 12th, 2010 at 08:49 AM.
    Salutacions / Atentamente / Kind Regards / Amicalement / Med vänliga hälsningar / Cumprimentos / Mit freundlichen Grüßen

Carlos Blanquer-Bogacz

Beans

I'm getting some screwy check sum errors on these .zip files Does anyone else have 1.09? My XS35 running Ubuntu "ain't got no" wireless Thanks!
    Quote Originally Posted by Schnitty View Post
    i'm sure 1.09 would fix this problem, but when i go to the link above, the only thing there is 1.08.

any chance you saved the file and can post it somewhere? i've been searching all around for about 30min and can't find it anywhere

---edit---
    well, this site is about as sketchy as it gets, but if you can navigate thru the 19 clicks needed to get to an actual download link (read carefully), it looks like they have 1.09. http://driversdownloaddriver.com/downloads.php

of course, i haven't installed it yet - maybe it will brick my system. you've been warned - use caution!

---edit #2---
    ok, i've confirmed that this works with the file i got from that link. i'm attaching the bios file i downloaded here (had to split it due to limits of the site) just so no one else has to ponder where to get it (or whether to click on those links).

[site only allows uploading of zip files, not z01 files, so rename the "split2" file to this: XS35_SHB.109_split.z01]

hope this helps - happy ubuntu-ing.

Beans

We received a "fresh" copy of 1.09 Bios from the mfg today

Then we created a DOS boot Disk ISO including the Bios firmware and dos installed and burned it all to a disk

Booted from the disk, ran the update and updated the BIOS

The "trick" is once you update the BIOS, go into set up and set the WIFI to always on and then it will work

FYI

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast