Thread: learning linux

Beans

learning linux

hi..
    i am new to linux.please tell me where do i begin from..

thanks

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

Re: learning linux

A WARM WELCOME TO UBUNTU LINUX , u can learn tutorials here and i recommend u must just explore it first like music player, image viewer and ubuntu software centre

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Mate

Beans

provided you have a fairly recent ubuntu version, you'll get along without much trouble. That means you can solve one problem at a time, where this forum is a great place to find solutions.
    You should have a look at the ubuntu guide http://ubuntuguide.org.

If you want to learn from scratch, try e.g. here http://linuxreviews.org/beginner/.

(btw. found it after googeling "learn linux"...)

Beans

that is a very general question, where to start to learn linux? this is an ubuntu forum,
    so most discussion here revolves around ubuntu

if you just want to install ubuntu and use it as your OS, unless you have some
    configuration issues on install, there's little to learn...it just plain works..

I'd boot from a live CD and see what kind of functionality you have and if you like the
    GUI before installing

I put 10.04 on my little Acer Netbook because my XP install had grown sluggish and
    unstable...the rescue disks proved to be anything but...so in frustration I blew the HDD,
    installed ubunbtu in about a half hour, every piece of hardware was supported, it came
    with a very good office suite and my choice of browser, the machine now boots to a usable
    state in 15 seconds, I don't have to worry about ant-virus or firewall crap anymore,
    and when I run an update, I get just that: updated...I don't get snooped-on and receive
    "updates" that are really just spyware from MS to make sure I'm not stealing from them,
    still can't believe it's all free, and legal, seems too good to be true...end rant

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

I bought this really awesome book: Ubuntu, Tips and Hacks. It cost I think 30.00 but is well worth it to me. It helped me to understand what the nice folks on here say sometimes....I got my book at Barnes and Noble, but it should be available at any bookstore....good luck and have fun!!!