Thread: Trying to start a strong community in Louisiana

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Trying to start a strong community in Louisiana

Hi, I am a graphic designer, web developer, system admin and computer technician here in Baton Rouge, La and I would like to get our local community on board with Ubuntu, other Linux distros and open source technologies, however, it seems that I can't find enough people locally willing to give Linux a shot and it's extremely hard to find others like myself locally willing to lend a helping hand. Currently, I am planning out some web based software to run on a LAN at a local daycare and would like to start there, with the children and small daycare facilities. My short term goal is to show all M$ junkies out there that there is a better and more affordable solution and my long term goal is to eventually open up the market place for linux admins, desktops and so forth. I urge everyone to help out with this task. I am try to make a place for us all, locally, from free and open source all the way to the enterprise level.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.10 Maverick Meerkat

Re: Trying to start a strong community in Louisiana

I am in Mandeville,La and I kind of had the same idea, to gfet them while they are young I want to start a recycling service where I recycle old Pcs and make them available to needy familys with children and pre load them with Edubuntu that way you get a whole family started on Ubuntu and you help the kids at the same time.

Beans

^^ I'd like to help =o)
    Any advice given is the direct result of my experience solving my problems on my system. I have no idea what I'm talking about. ~bouge

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

It seems like it's really tough to get a group together and coordinated. In Baton Rouge there is a fairly active lug mailing list. Are you subscribed to it?