Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Good tool for learning command line

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Re: Good tool for learning command line

Looks interesting. It's not in Synaptic as far as I can see.

Is there a repo for it?
    Lucid Lynx 10.04LTS amd64 user.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu UNR

Tried it......Like it. Thanks!
    The two most common elements in the world are hydrogen and stupidity.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Quote Originally Posted by barney385 View Post

Is there a repo for it?
    No, I do not believe so.

Beans
    Hidden!

I like
    Experienced users can use CLIcompanion to store their extensive list of commands in a searchable list
    I have always got a collection of obscure commands that I like to use occasionally.
    EasyBCD.
    PrintersDatabase
    Boot Info Script: How to
    The post above and the post below suffer from the Rashomon effect!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 20.04 Focal Fossa

Great. Will save me a lot of time searching in obscure manpages for simple things. The constantly evolving environment (commands going in and out of fashion, advice on different pages conflicting etc.) is a challenge for n00bs.
    Thanks.

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 16.04 Xenial Xerus

Definitely looks interesting...might have to try it out. Thanks!
    Thinkpad T430, Intel i5-3320M (Ivy), 8GB RAM, Intel HD 4000, 500GB HDD: Xubuntu 20.04 LTS 64bit

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 20.04 Focal Fossa

One problem though is a very small amount of display memory, I mean how much of the terminal display output is scrollable/savable. This is often vital when I am in unknown territory (which is most of the time with Ubuntu). The amount scrollable with Gnome terminal seems about 5 times that of Clicompanion, so now I jump back to Gnome terminal anytime I expect more than a screen of output that I might need to check.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Quote Originally Posted by JamButty View Post
    One problem though is a very small amount of display memory, I mean how much of the terminal display output is scrollable/savable. This is often vital when I am in unknown territory (which is most of the time with Ubuntu). The amount scrollable with Gnome terminal seems about 5 times that of Clicompanion, so now I jump back to Gnome terminal anytime I expect more than a screen of output that I might need to check.
    This is a good point.

I have made some changes in CLI Companion to allow you to collapse/expand the command list. This will make the application more like Gnome-Terminal when the command list is collapsed. Hopefully this will make CLI Companion more useful as a daily Terminal.

Also in the next release I have redone the .clicompanion file format. This new format will allow for a broader range of commands to be stored in the command dictionary.

An example showing the difference between the old and new formats

NEW
    dpkg -l @: package : Find version of a package
    OLD
    dpkg -l : package : Find version of a package
    This new format will allow a user to add commands that can require arguments at run time anywhere in the command. It does this by using the @ symbol to act as a placeholder. The old format only allowed input at the end of the command. Which worked for a lot of commands, but not all. An example of a command that would not have worked with the old format:

cat @ @ | sort | uniq > @ : file1, file2, file3 : combine, sort and remove duplicates

Is there a repo for it?
    Hopefully the application will make it into Debian by the end of the year and be in Universe for Natty Narwhal. Currently there are two options for installing CLI Companion. You can visit the Launchpad page and download the .deb there. Additionally you can add the PPA and receive the updates automatically. To add the PPA use the following Terminal commands:

Code:
    sudo add-apt-repository ppa:clicompanion-devs/clicompanion-nightlies
    then to install CLI Companion run this command:
    Code:
    sudo apt-get install clicompanion
    This PPA is fairly innocent. The only thing in it is CLI Companion. Nothing that will break your computer. The PPA is called nightlies, but until we get a stable PPA we will be very mindful not to push any broken code (on purpose). We are human and bugs happen. If you do notice a bug, or just have a Wishlist item please file a bug.

thank you,
    duanedesign
    Last edited by duanedesign; September 28th, 2010 at 05:14 AM.