Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Diaspora preview

Beans
    Hidden!

Diaspora preview

What arrests my attention...
    is the fact, that this space is inhabited.

Beans

Re: Diaspora preview

Alright, someone fill me in. What's the point of a social network that's meant to become fragmented? One of the cool things about Fb is finding a close friend from a decade ago that you've fallen out of touch with.... Even if you're both using Diasporia, but you're on different servers, you'll never cross paths.
    Resolution help | Mac4Lin install guide|Fuduntu
    Quote Originally Posted by kamaboko View Post
    A suggestion for you...dump the "us vs. them" attitude ...

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.04 Natty Narwhal

Creating Diaspora is bad idea. In my opinion.
    Facebook is the strongest social network... why would 500+ millions of people go to Diaspora now?

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu

Diaspora comes too late, people are less interested in that kind of social networks. Facebook even starts losing users, I don't think those users will use Diaspora instead.
    「明後日の夕方には帰ってるからね。」

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 13.10 Saucy Salamander

Quote Originally Posted by Denis Krajnc View Post
    Creating Diaspora is bad idea. In my opinion.
    Facebook is the strongest social network... why would 500+ millions of people go to Diaspora now?
    The same reason that people left Excite for Google, Friends Reunited for MySpace and MySpace for Facebook, because it is better or offers more.
    Dell XPS 14 Ultrabook
    Intel Core i7-3517U 1.90GHz
    8GB RAM
    500GB Samsung HD

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by pablo180 View Post
    The same reason that people left Excite for Google, Friends Reunited for MySpace and MySpace for Facebook, because it is better or offers more.
    Myspace and facebook are different social platforms serving very different needs. Facebook is about people, myspace about artists and collectives. Things may have blurred recently, but I don't know a single band or artist that doesn't have a regularly maintained myspace.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Dixon Bainbridge View Post
    Myspace and facebook are different social platforms serving very different needs. Facebook is about people, myspace about artists and collectives.
    now they are different, once they where direct competitors.
    Semper Fi

My Non-Ubuntu Blog.
    All posts by me are Public Domain.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

MyFace is just a data mining site.

You've all been duped.
    Lucid Lynx 10.04LTS amd64 user.

Beans

To be fair, from testing it on some site and reading about it, if I was one to feel disappointed about something, i'd feel heavily disappointed about this.

It's very basic, it seems like not much work has been put forth to it and it doesn't really stand out in any areas. It just kinda, sucks.

It's too plain, simplistic and dull, considering the amount of time they've worked on this and the funding they've had, it's quite terrible.

I personally feel that within a month's work; what they've done could be accomplished by one person.

But that's just my opinion. The idea was silly from the start, there's loads of free community projects out there already that you can implement on your own server, I don't see what's so special about this.
    It would of been better as a centralized network as apposed to one you must create yourself, there's likely to be hundreds of these sprawling across the web soon, good investment? I think not.

In my opinion, they gave hype but failed in delivering.

Just my opinion.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.10 Maverick Meerkat

I don't think anybody outside of the tech (or even just the open source) community will be that interested. The idea of switching 500 million people to a different social network in which you need to set up your own server doesn't sound all that possible.
    ASUS M4A785TD-V EVO//AMD Athlon II X4 635 @ 3.6ghz//Crucial BallistiX 4GB @ 1700mhz//PNY Quadro NVS 290//RAID 0/5
    If you want stuff done right, do it yourself.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast