Page 6 of 27 FirstFirst ... 4567816 ... LastLast

Thread: GNOME randomly reverts to default theme, then refuses to touch Nautilus

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Re: GNOME randomly reverts to default theme, then refuses to touch Nautilus

Quote Originally Posted by PC_load_letter View Post
    The problem seems to have been fixed for me, latest updates or whatever it was, everything gnome is normal now.
    It will start back. The updates a few days ago fixed the problem for me, but only for a day. Now it's back.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Breezy 5.10

I re-installed nautilus and nautilus-data in synaptic and rebooted three times with no problem. Yet. I do have Nautilus Elementary installed and it didn't mess that up. Theme looks good as usual.
    Asus eeePC 1005ha Intel Atom N270 Intel Mobile 945GME Atheros AR9285 2g Crucial 250g hd Ubuntu Linux 10.10 and one big can of Rockstar! Ubuntu user #14514

Beans

We are getting closer to an explanation why this problem hasn't been adressed so far.

I posted a Question on Launchpad with the title 'No reaction to bug reports. Are the developers aware of them?':

https://answers.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+question/138930

And I just got an answer:

mycae said 6 minutes ago:
    gnome-settings-daemon is maintained by the gnome project (http://www.gnome.org/), which is not related to Canonical.
    So chances are that the actual devs are not seeing your bug. If canonical has the resources, or prioritises your bug, then maybe they will look at it themselves, seperately from gnome. But looking at that bug, I (not a dev) have no idea what is going on, and the backtraces provided are not useful, as they do not have debugging symbols. So its not even clear what is going on.
    Clarifying this transferrs some of the workload from the devs to the users, and the devs are much fewer in number than users, so this means that your bug is more likely to get fixed if you can at least nail down the problem
    I already posted a bug report on bugzilla.gnome.org even before I asked this question on Launchpad (I updated the Gnome bug report with mycae's answer):

https://bugzilla.gnome.org/show_bug.cgi?id=637921

So that's it folks, that's all I can do. If someone more experienced notices, that I posted the bug report wrong (I didn't file it under gnome-settings-daemon but under Nautilus), maybe that person could file a new one on bugzilla.gnome.org. That would be very nice.

But for some reason I think the solution will come down to us users. So if anymore people have experiences to report regarding the nvidia-current-modealiases removal idea, or any other fix ideas in this thread, please report them!

Beans
    Distro

Kupfer,

I went ahead and posted on your Gnome Bugzilla thread asking for help and confirming your report. Hopefully we can get some feedback there from someone.

Beans

Thanks, rookcifer

Also, there is further movement in my Ubuntu Questions report. Unfortunately I can't try the steps described as I only reinstalled my Maverick 64bit two hours ago. I'm trying to induce the bug, but unfortunately or fortunately it didn't appear yet, so I can't really test it as described here (maybe someone can):

Well, as long as the status is 'incomplete' rather than 'confirmed' the bug will expire (as it says on top).
    https://help.launchpad.net/BugExpiry
    To determine if a bug has been abandoned, Launchpad uses the following conditions:
    * it has the "Incomplete" status
    In addition, someone who does experience the issue may report it upstream to raise attention, of course after searching gnome bug database.
    https://wiki.ubuntu.com/Bugs/Upstream/GNOME
    Since I never had such issue it might be one regarding user config, (beside the preference of clean installation rather than upgrading).
    However, create a test-user, monitor if the issue remains in order to exclude the case of culprit user config.
    Does this reveal anything meaningful?
    gnome-settings-daemon --debug --no-daemon
    Or try via tty (ctrl+alt+f1):
    gconftool --recursive-unset /apps/gnome_settings_daemon
    and reboot.
    Just in case, if there're any saved gnome-sessions remove them and disable saving sessions.
    .config/gnome-session/saved-session
    also
    Regarding the 'BadMatch' error there is still an unsolved Bug #447431.
    I don't know whether this BadMatch error is related to our bug or not:

https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+s...op/+bug/447431

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

I thought I was the only one. With me it only happens in Lucid and not in Maverick.
    Furthermore it only happens after exiting a Kde app. like Okular or K3b and then only sometimes, it doesn't do this when simply logging in/out. Whether or not Emerald or Compiz is running makes no difference. I have Lucid with Gnome New Wave theme and Gnome Wine icon theme and Emerald. As I mentioned it does not occur with Maverick at all. Minor inconvenience but irritating. Problem identical to the one described by the OP.

Beans
    Distro

I just did a fresh install of Maverick and on my 3rd reboot, this bug began appearing. I am going now to backtrace what exactly I did that might have caused it (though I think there's obviously a bug somewhere).

EDIT: All I did was install the following packages:

Thunderbird, Gimp, Pidgin, and flashplugin64.
    Last edited by rookcifer; December 26th, 2010 at 12:33 AM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.04 Natty Narwhal

Normally, I have my theme set to radiance, but it keeps changing to clearlooks. Here's what I did, but I really don't know why this would work. I opened the file browser to my home directory and looked at the hidden folders. I found one called .gconfd and inside was a file called saved_state. I deleted this file and logged back in. My appearance then went back to radiance.

EDIT: I found a small problem: after a few boots, my appearance changed again. So, I created a bash script containing:

Code:
    #! bin/bash
    sudo rm /home/MY_HOME_DIRECTORY/.gconfd/saved_state
    sudo shutdown -P now
    I use this to shut down my computer now so that the saved_state file is automatically cleared every time I shut down.
    Last edited by trozamon; December 29th, 2010 at 09:21 PM.

Beans
    Hidden!

Wink Re: GNOME randomly reverts to default theme, then refuses to touch Nautilus

this worked for me!

Beans

I did nothing regarding the bug and for a week now, the bug doesn't happen... I didn't install any updates either... It's so mysterious, this bug... It came silently and left silently... Or did it leave? may be it's dormant at the moment... lol... Where's harry potter?
    We come into this world from the infinite unknown alone and empty. We stay here only a little while and disappear forever. Nevertheless we'll be warm and safe when we see each other smile. So get out there with a smile and make this life count...

Page 6 of 27 FirstFirst ... 4567816 ... LastLast