Thread: GNOME randomly reverts to default theme, then refuses to touch Nautilus

Beans
    Hidden!

Re: GNOME randomly reverts to default theme, then refuses to touch Nautilus

Found a quick temporary solution. Open terminal and type:
    Code:
    gnome-settings-daemon
    (press enter)

Just do that anytime you encounter this problem.

I suggest making sure gnome-settings-daemon is not already started by:
    Code:
    ps -ef | grep gnome-settings-daemon
    If you get no output, it means it's not running.

I think when going to sleep or logging in or out once in awhile something causes the settings daemon to crash. After recent updates it still happens.
    STOP!
    Before you sign up to Dropbox, click here to read my post showing you how to get an additional 500mb free! That's 2.5GB of free space!

Beans

I had this problem in 10.10 x64, but it only started today when I did updates. I noticed that there was a nvidia-current-modaliases package updated, but I'm running ATI. I uninstalled this package and my gnome-theme-reset issue is now resolved. May work for others.

Beans

even updates ain't working for me.... How do i contact Mark Shuttleworth? I like ubuntu so much.... But my friend is teasing both me and ubuntu ever since this glitch... I know it's so minor... Guys come one... Help... Write some program and make it ok...
    We come into this world from the infinite unknown alone and empty. We stay here only a little while and disappear forever. Nevertheless we'll be warm and safe when we see each other smile. So get out there with a smile and make this life count...

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

OK, bad news. I posted a couple of days ago that the last updates solved this issue. That is they did until today's updates (a new kernel). Now it is doing the same thing again -- ugly grey theme at startup.

Hello, Ubuntu developers. Are you listening?

Beans

Maybe we should file another bug report all of us can subscribe to, because the old one (https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+s...on/+bug/588155) doesn't look encouraging. I'm not an expert on bug reports, so maybe someone who is can add his two cents, but the fact that it is marked 'incomplete', is set to 'unassigned', there is a warning about expiration and the only activity regarding it seems to come only from "me too"-reports, is not encouraging. Maybe another bug report (or reports) would wake up the bug-fixers.

I would have already filed a bug report already (i was active in the old one), but as I said, I'm not an expert in bug reporting-guidelines, so maybe I'm wrong and the problem IS being looked at. Anyone have more information?

Some activity or feedback that the developers are aware of the problem would be reassuring.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Quote Originally Posted by Kupfer View Post
    Maybe we should file another bug report all of us can subscribe to, because the old one (https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+s...on/+bug/588155) doesn't look encouraging. I'm not an expert on bug reports, so maybe someone who is can add his two cents, but the fact that it is marked 'incomplete', is set to 'unassigned', there is a warning about expiration and the only activity regarding it seems to come only from "me too"-reports, is not encouraging. Maybe another bug report (or reports) would wake up the bug-fixers.

I would have already filed a bug report already (i was active in the old one), but as I said, I'm not an expert in bug reporting-guidelines, so maybe I'm wrong and the problem IS being looked at. Anyone have more information?

Some activity or feedback that the developers are aware of the problem would be reassuring.
    I just posted in that bug report thread and asked what the heck is going on with this bug. I hope they are working on it.

Beans

@rookcifer

Thank You! Let's see if anything happens.

Beans

Smile Re: GNOME randomly reverts to default theme, then refuses to touch Nautilus

I had the same problem which started two weeks ago. I uninstalled nvidia-current-modaliases as suggested by one of the guys and its been working correctly for me so far. I have a SiS chipset with shared graphic memory. Hope this helps.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by linux_burner View Post
    I had the same problem which started two weeks ago. I uninstalled nvidia-current-modaliases as suggested by one of the guys and its been working correctly for me so far. I have a SiS chipset with shared graphic memory. Hope this helps.

Can anyone else confirm that this is working? Unfortunately I can't because I removed Maveric because of this bug and I'm using Lucid Lynx, and in Lucid the bug doesn't appear (at least for me). I would like to reinstall Maverick when this issue is resolved.

Also, I filed another bug report on the issue here: https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+bug/693832

So far, no reaction. I understand that it's the Christmas Season and everything, but yesterday I filed a Hplip related bug report and I got my problem resolved in just under three hours!! So the silence regarding this bug does strike me as strange.

Then again, I may be overrreacting.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 16.04 Xenial Xerus

The problem seems to have been fixed for me, latest updates or whatever it was, everything gnome is normal now.
    This should be a sticky, or a bug 'cos it ain't a feature

Page 5 of 27 FirstFirst ... 3456715 ... LastLast