Thread: Partition after partition...

Beans

Partition after partition...

Primarily I assigned around 30GB to Ubuntu and 130GB to another OS. Now, I need more space for external memory computations in Ubuntu, and the amount I primarily allocated is not sufficient. Is there a way to "translate" some unused memory from the other OS to Ubuntu? It would be good not to everything from the beginning.
    Thanks

Beans

Re: Partition after partition...

Boot up with a live cd and use gparted (gnome partition manager). Just be very carefull not to interrupt the procedure or power off your pc.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Mate Development Release

Quote Originally Posted by onako View Post
    Primarily I assigned around 30GB to Ubuntu and 130GB to another OS. Now, I need more space for external memory computations in Ubuntu, and the amount I primarily allocated is not sufficient. Is there a way to "translate" some unused memory from the other OS to Ubuntu? It would be good not to everything from the beginning.
    Thanks
    First of all, I think you're asking about "disk space" not "memory".

Second, and this is IMPORTANT, if your Other OS is Win7 (or, shudder, Vista), do NOT use GParted to shrink its OS partition. Doing so runs the risk of partition corruption and rendering the Other OS unbootable. Instead, use the Vista/Win7 Disk Management utility to shrink the OS partition. If your Other OS is XP, you should be OK using GParted on it.
    Ubuntu 16.10 Mate, Mint 18 Mate; MS Win 8.1, MS Win10 Pro.
    Will not respond to PM requests for support -- use the forums.

Beans

Yes, I think disk space. The other OS is Windows 7. Thanks