Results 1 to 8 of 8

Thread: FFMPEG -- DTS to flac mapping channels help

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Location
    Connecticut
    Beans
    82
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

    FFMPEG -- DTS to flac mapping channels help

    Hello, I am trying to DTS to flac(or even ac3)....however I know I can do it with FFMPEG and I have using basic parameters, however does anyone know if you need to supply FFMPEG with the audio channel layouts....

    I found this
    5.1 WAV FL , FR , FC , LFE, SL , SR
    5.1 AC3 FL , FC , FR , SL , SR , LFE
    5.1 DTS FC , FL , FR , SL , SR , LFE
    5.1 AAC FC , FL , FR , SL , SR , LFE
    5.1 AIFF FL , SL , FC , FR , SR , LFE

    SO Clearly each codec is different in how it arranges the channels....

    For example if I wanted to do DTS to AC3, it looks based on this chart that I would have to input the audio channel layout manually.

    Anyone have any success with something similar?

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Location
    Connecticut
    Beans
    82
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

    Re: FFMPEG -- DTS to flac mapping channels help

    Quote Originally Posted by jimmah6786 View Post
    Hello, I am trying to DTS to flac(or even ac3)....however I know I can do it with FFMPEG and I have using basic parameters, however does anyone know if you need to supply FFMPEG with the audio channel layouts....

    I found this
    5.1 WAV FL , FR , FC , LFE, SL , SR
    5.1 AC3 FL , FC , FR , SL , SR , LFE
    5.1 DTS FC , FL , FR , SL , SR , LFE
    5.1 AAC FC , FL , FR , SL , SR , LFE
    5.1 AIFF FL , SL , FC , FR , SR , LFE

    SO Clearly each codec is different in how it arranges the channels....

    For example if I wanted to do DTS to AC3, it looks based on this chart that I would have to input the audio channel layout manually.

    Anyone have any success with something similar?
    Found the mapping on flac documentation site.
    LF, RF, FC, LFE, SL, SR

    So the mappings are entirely different then DTS's...does anyone know how to manually pass the new mapping to ffmpeg

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    Lancashire
    Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.04 Natty Narwhal

    Re: FFMPEG -- DTS to flac mapping channels help

    Hi
    I think that this mapping is OK:-
    Code:
    ffmpeg -i foo -map 0:1 -map 0:2 -map 0:0 -map 0:5 -map 0:3 -map 0:4 foo.flac
    Though you may need to insert your 'basic parameters'.

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Location
    Connecticut
    Beans
    82
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

    Re: FFMPEG -- DTS to flac mapping channels help

    Quote Originally Posted by ron999 View Post
    Hi
    I think that this mapping is OK:-
    Code:
    ffmpeg -i foo -map 0:1 -map 0:2 -map 0:0 -map 0:5 -map 0:3 -map 0:4 foo.flac
    Though you may need to insert your 'basic parameters'.
    I thought that -map parameter was used for mapping multiple tracks inside the container, like 2 DTS tracks.

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    Lancashire
    Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.04 Natty Narwhal

    Re: FFMPEG -- DTS to flac mapping channels help

    Quote Originally Posted by jimmah6786 View Post
    I thought that -map parameter was used for mapping multiple tracks inside the container, like 2 DTS tracks.
    Maybe you're right.
    There's only one way to find out.

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Beans
    17,329

    Re: FFMPEG -- DTS to flac mapping channels help

    if you need to supply FFMPEG with the audio channel layouts....
    It doesn't appear you'd need to (used several different 5.1 surround test files for ac3 and dts, all came out correct as flac and or wav

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Location
    Connecticut
    Beans
    82
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

    Re: FFMPEG -- DTS to flac mapping channels help

    Quote Originally Posted by mc4man View Post
    It doesn't appear you'd need to (used several different 5.1 surround test files for ac3 and dts, all came out correct as flac and or wav
    Cool I'll have to try it out. Thanks all!

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    Brisbane
    Beans
    3,779

    Re: FFMPEG -- DTS to flac mapping channels help

    Might as well leave DTS files as DTS files, not bother with conversions. Unless its DTS-HD, DTS is lossy......not much point converting a lossy codec to lossless in most situations.

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •