Thread: Which PHP framework?

Beans

Which PHP framework?

I have been a user of CakePHP for a while. I'd like to try a new framework, for various reasons. First, I am a little worried about the evolution of CakePHP, in particular the splitting between CakePHP2 and Lithium (formerly CakePHP3). Probably Lithium is the future, but it is too young to try out now. Second, I'd like to use something with a better ORM: making complicated queries in CakePHP has been a pain sometimes. Third, I want to become a better PHP programmer, so I'd want to make use of all the PHP5(.3) capabilities, but CakePHP is still compatible with PHP4.

After looking around on the net for a while, my choice has narrowed to the following:
    • symfony
    • YII framework
    • Kohana

My main concerns are that the framework should have a good documentation and it should be written in a clean way (I may want to investigate the internals for self study later) and encourage good PHP practices.

Can you give me some advice? (Please, keep the answers to the point: my choice is already narrowed to the above list, so there is no point in suggesting Code Igniter, or to stick to CakePHP, or to roll my own.)
    Please, feel free to correct my english, so that I can improve it.

Click here to join Dropbox. Both you and I get free extra space.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Re: Which PHP framework?

I haven't used a php framework, but I've heard good things about Symfony. I'll recommend that

If you want to better yourself in php, I recommend ditching the framework and work on your own, for fun if for no other reason. You'll understand how to work the language in a general way instead of depending on a framework. Frameworks are just there to simplify complex projects under time constraints.

Learn some design patterns, and apply them. In the end, you could have your own little generic framework you could use anywhere.
    Last edited by L815; September 13th, 2010 at 08:29 AM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

I'm currently using Yii as part of my software project, as part of my degree.
    and it's quite good.
    i recommend it because i haven't used the others.

but i warn you, the learning curve is quite steep.
    at least i think it is.

Goodluck
    "Oh Ubuntu, you are my favorite linux based operating system" Dr. Sheldon Cooper.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

This question -- which is one I've asked myself and others many times -- is like asking "Which computer is best" Unfortunately there are a zillion answers, and then they in turn have just as many answers and variables.

But if you've been down the CakePHP path, I'd suggest you give Kohana3 a look. It's fairly straightforward, even for people that don't like frameworks (like myself). It lacks in documentation, but the community is responsive and their IRC-channel usually handles "oddball questions" rather quickly.

One thing I like about Kohana over CakePHP is that it's far more lightweight. Sure, it may not have all the whistles, but most of them that are "missing" aren't needed.

-joho

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 16.04 Xenial Xerus

go with Symfony2

Beans
    Hidden!

Back to sleep.
    Forum DOs and DON'Ts
    Please use CODE tags