Thread: Incompatible Windows Filenames

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Incompatible Windows Filenames

My problem is that I had been using Ubuntu to manage my music files for a while and now when I try to copy it over to a Windows computer it can't read them all. Things like "file" and "File" being two different items in Linux but Windows not being able to tell the difference. My music collection is very large, over 20,000 different items so I can't just look through manually, but I can't seem to find a program change them automatically, or at the very least give me a list of all the files that are a problem.

Right now the computer I'm using is a Windows 7/ Ubuntu 10.04 duel boot with the music files on the NTFS partition so that Windows can see them. Ubuntu let me copy them over to NTFS in the first place with the illegal file names.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Re: Incompatible Windows Filenames

Do you have duplicate 'rips' of your music? or just filenames that are different only by uppercase / lowercase? Can you move some files to a different directory? Give us an actual example of your conflicting filenames.
    Laptop: Dell Inspiron 8200 - Fedora 13 - Goddard
    Desktop: Self-Built - [Ku, Lu, Xu, U]buntu - Lucid 10.04.3 (LTS)
    Linux User: 498249 / Ubuntu User: 29241

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Here are some examples:

I have music from two different bands named mum. One is american and spelled "MUM" and the other is Icelandic spelled "múm".

Currently there are two folders with called mum: "Music/Mum" and "Music/MUM". There are different files under each folder, since they're refering to different artists, ie "Music/Mum/Dusk Log" vs "Music/MUM/The Szabotnik 15 Mission".

For Linux, this isn't a problem, I can play the files, copy and paste, rename, what have you. But, for Windows, this is a problem. It can't differentiate between "Music\Mum" and "Music\MUM". So, it only displays one folder.

I also run into problems with files that have reserved Windows characters, such as, "04 - Hey, Wanna Throw Up?.mp3". The question mark isn't allowed.

It would take a lot of work to manual go through and look through all my files for all of the problems like these, and even then I might miss a couple, which is why I would like to find a program to do it for me.

Did I explain that clearly enough?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

There is another thread currently live with the same problem. Maybe some of the suggestions may help you

http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1572677
    Dell Inspiron 1501 AMD Sempron, 4GB RAM, 120GB HDD, running 14.04 64Bit
    Dell Latitude D830 Centrino duo 4GB RAM 320GB HDD, running 13.10 64Bit
    Raspberry Pi running Rasbian
    Ubuntu User #32384