Thread: diskspace full gvfs likely culprit

Beans

diskspace full gvfs likely culprit

Hello:
    I don't want to rush into conclusions, but I have this problem that I have not been able to solve.
    This morning I found that my diskspace was full. After being mildly surprised, I went to erase a big portion of it (~60 GB). Interestingly, a couple of hours later the disk was full again and I definitely did not save as much.
    As I deleted other directories, I noticed that the free space was not getting larger, but rather it remained constantly close to zero. There seemed to be a vino-server app which I killed.
    Later, space got stable at around 1 GB. I analyzed the disk space with baobab and it showed that my home directory was full (df gives the same result), but on a closer inspection (check png file attached), the maximum directory has only 45 GB. The only place that baobab cannot access is .gvfs directory (running baobab on sudo)

Code:
    ** (baobab:2453): WARNING **: error in dir /home/roberto: Error stating file '/home/roberto/.gvfs': Permission denied
    So I am assuming that the remaining diskspace is located there. However, du states the directory has exactly 0 bytes.

This problem has shown up in different form before, but none of the answers seem to help out in my case.

I'd appreciate any ideas to solve this.

Thanks!
    Attached Images Attached Images

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Re: diskspace full gvfs likely culprit

.gvfs is a special folder that should not take up space on your local computer file system.

Does http://www.linux.com/archive/feed/51600 help?
    NEED HELP? | [SOLVED] | MS hide
    A little nonsense now and then...
    If this is a game thread and you are going to post I hope you have read the Original Post.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Have you checked your log files in
    Code:
    /var/log/
    syslog, kern.log, messages and ufw.log can grow to huge sizes in a short time if there is a persistent error or event being logged.
    FIC K8-800T AMD64 3200+ 2GB PC3200 GeForce 6800GT Mandriva 2010 KDE+Compiz+Emerald
    MSI K9N2GM AMD 9950BE 4GB DDR2-800 GeForce 8200 10.10 WUSB600N
    Acer 6920 Core 2 Duo 4GB GeForce 9500GS 10.04 Ubuntu User #17586

Beans

Hi!
    Thanks for the replies. I did use du and df along with baobab to assess the diskspace. Furthermore, /var/log was reasonable in size.
    All of this was showing that my /home directory had 100% of the diskspace, but I could only account for about 50% of so. The rest did not appear in the results of the programs above (du or baobab). The only place these could not access what .gvfs
    After a second restart, things got back to normal and it appears all the diskspace is correctly accounted for.
    So I guess this problem got fixed, but without knowing the underlying reasons.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Boabab can be a bit confusing. The top folder always shows 100%, even when it's not full.

If you want to look at some more aspects of investigating disk space, here is the link to a post I made about it. It covers deleting/trash bins, backups made to the wrong folder, large log files, etc.

For instance, when I first read your post I thought it might be a delete problem, since deleting files doesn't free up any disk space until you empty your trash bin. Anyway, here is the link:

HOWTO: Recover Lost Disk Space
    Back to Xorg...

Retired.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by drs305 View Post
    Boabab can be a bit confusing. The top folder always shows 100%, even when it's not full.

If you want to look at some more aspects of investigating disk space, here is the link to a post I made about it. It covers deleting/trash bins, backups made to the wrong folder, large log files, etc.

For instance, when I first read your post I thought it might be a delete problem, since deleting files doesn't free up any disk space until you empty your trash bin. Anyway, here is the link:

HOWTO: Recover Lost Disk Space
    drs305: Yes, I looked into that, but df still said I was at 100% capacity, so baobab and df agreed in giving this false positive

It will be hard to assess what the problem was right now since it disappeared, but reading from your guide I believe it was related to issue g in the guide you mentioned. I believe I did read through it while I was trying to fix this problem, but to no avail...
    In any case, thanks for the response and will be on the lookout in case this problem shows up again.

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

I prefer kdirstat to all the standard gnome programs. It is similar to windirstat and is easier to read than baobob:
    Attached Images Attached Images

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by xircon View Post
    I prefer kdirstat to all the standard gnome programs. It is similar to windirstat and is easier to read than baobob:
    Xircon: I'll check it out. I don't use many KDE programs to often, except okular. Let's see if kdirstat is able to assess this next time.

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

I run a selection of what suites me, was die-hard KDE, now run what I like on a heavily modified Gnome (running on top of KDM) a real mongrel!!!

PS it doesn't (on my machine) make a menu entry, run with alt-f2