Thread: Application, Places, System gone from panel?

Beans

Application, Places, System gone from panel?

Well, the title says it all, except for the fact that I don't know if this is the result of an upgrade, software conflict or I did something I shouldn't have without even noticing. I was able to "Add" the main GNOME menu back by right clicking on the menu, etc. Now, Places and System are sub-menus of the main system menu.
    Anyone have any thoughts on this?
    TIA
    Last edited by dekalbave; September 13th, 2010 at 06:37 AM.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Re: Application, Places, System gone from menu?

In the same way you added the Main Menu back, is there an option for "Menu Bar"? It should be just below the Main Menu icon in the 'Add' choices. That is what you seem to be missing.
    Back to Xorg...

Retired.

Beans

Re: Application, Places, System gone from panel?

Thank you! You hit it right on the button. Problem solved...and I learned something new.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.10 Intrepid Ibex

Quote Originally Posted by dekalbave View Post
    Thank you! You hit it right on the button. Problem solved...and I learned something new.
    Yeah, the name "menu bar" is not very intuitive. And even less considering that there's an item called "main menu".
    Please remember to mark this thread as [SOLVED]

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

Hi! I have been referred by a forum in another place to this topic because I have suffered exactly the same effect on the same day. I do not know where the OP is located so the matter might be multinational. I wonder if there is some external factor at work. Any clues?

The solution given does partly do the job except that it allows for an icon (Ubuntu-shaped) which is for the Applications menu. The Places and System menus are all there and are accessible at the bottom of drop-down menu, but we do not now have the ability of selecting them individually from the panel as before. I guess that there is an item in the panel setting up process which puts the text when loading the desktop. Can this be edited to get back to the original??

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Quote Originally Posted by colintivy View Post
    The solution given does partly do the job except that it allows for an icon (Ubuntu-shaped) which is for the Applications menu. The Places and System menus are all there and are accessible at the bottom of drop-down menu, but we do not now have the ability of selecting them individually from the panel as before. I guess that there is an item in the panel setting up process which puts the text when loading the desktop. Can this be edited to get back to the original??

See my post #2. There is the "Main Menu", which is the Ubuntu logo and drop down menu, and there is the "Menu Bar" option, which displays "Applications, Places, Systems"

Adding the "Menu Bar" should be an option when you right click the panel and select "Add to Panel". I think this was the case even in Hardy. (Note, if you aren't running 8.04 any longer you may wish to update your profile.)
    Back to Xorg...

Retired.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by gadolinio View Post
    Yeah, the name "menu bar" is not very intuitive. And even less considering that there's an item called "main menu".
    Please remember to mark this thread as [SOLVED]
    Marked as solved. Thanks. (Had to look at the Forum FAQ to learn about "Thread Tools" to mark it. Oh well, learned something else new!

Beans

I actually still have the problem: Applications/Places/Menu is gone.
    -if I right-click on Ubuntu-shaped icon nothing happens
    -if I right-click on the top menu bar nothing happens
    I have Ubuntu Maverick for netbooks, is this issue fixed for it?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

afaik netbook edition doesn't use standard gnome desktop but some other environment finetuned for modest screen resolutions. If you really want standard ubuntu you can install ubuntu-desktop package and choose gnome session at login screen. It may be a good idea, or it may not, depends if you got hdd space to spare, etc.