Thread: Anyone using Ubuntu on a Lenovo Thinkstation S20?

Beans

Anyone using Ubuntu on a Lenovo Thinkstation S20?

Anyone using Ubuntu on a Lenovo Thinkstation S20? If so, did everything work easily, or were there any issues? Thanks...

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.04 Natty Narwhal

Re: Anyone using Ubuntu on a Lenovo Thinkstation S20?

Not exactly. I have my T510 laptop dual booting between Win 7 and Ubuntu 10.04. This is my first Ubuntu system (except a test on my previous laptop), although I've worked with other *nix systems for a while. I need windows for Jeppesen flight planning software but almost never boot Windows for anything else.

Ubuntu is running well. The issues I have are:

• The display brightness and therefore battery life doesn't really work. At boot up it sets display brightness but the power options and keyboard commands don't work. They act like they should but to change screen brightness I have to set it then reboot.
    • The notification area of the panel gets trashed in GNome fairly regularly. I haven't figured out what's doing it or how to fix it without logging out and back in.

Both of those are minor inconveniences. I am genuinely happy with the system. It boots at least twice as fast as W7 and the programs seem more responsive, and start up quicker.

This is also my first Lenovo so I hope myT510 experience is applicable to an S20.

Joe